1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

jittery burns with nero

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by deadone36, Dec 4, 2007.

1. deadone36

deadone36 Member

hi all, i have a few problems with nero, unsure if its the files i am copying causing the issues, anyway i have many many avi files that i am burning with nero. on most playbacks its jittering about with small skips etc, its realy annoying, was wandering if i should convert the avi files 1st b4 i burn.. i have star trek voyager and all the files are in 350mb avi files,(26 avi files = 26 episodes ) i can just manage to get 3 episodes per dvd but sometimes they skip etc.. this is also taking over 2 hours to copy, is there another way i should be doing it to elimate these errors.

regards
    mick

2. onya

onya Guest

Hi Mick, Lets set aside the time it takes to backup your DVD...just for the moment ok. Generally speaking, it's the speed of burning the files to a DVD blank AND the quality of the blank in question. Regardless of the method(s) AVI to DVD format program you have chosen to make your back ups, your pc/stand alone players are doing their jobs and are enabling you to view the "results". So lets say if the above is true then it's most likely blank quality and burn speeds ..yes?

What brand of blanks (media) and it's type are you using? (-R +R)
    What speed are you burning at?

Try the following as a test, REDUCE the burn speed to 4X and don't have any other proggys working at the time, including downloading anything at all. If you limit your pc to ONE activity, you'll get better results.
    Post back with you results...we are here to help.

Cheers Mick.

3. deadone36

deadone36 Member

hi onya, thankyou for helping me out with my issues.
    anyway the discs i use range from maxwell to tdk +r and occasional non brand discs.
    i have tried -r versions also but problems still there.
    as for burning at x4 that is the speed i usually use, i have tried at x8 as well.
    i dont do anything on my pc while in the encode / burn process as i no this will possibly cause burn errors. i am not 2 concerned also about how long it takes to burn them as long as the final results are good.

have you any suggestions on blank dvd i should maybe try out as i have been told that the Verbatim brand are good.
    but 1 thing at a time :)

mick

4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

I use TDK's & they seem to work fine besides they've been in the media making business for years,reason i'm posting i don't have a stand alone dvd player so i use my PS2 however on occasions when playing backup movies it will skip or seize at a particular point yet when i play the same disk thru the comp all is fine r u sure it's not your dvd player that's at fault, only other thing i'd wonder is could it be the amount of compression your using assuming it even comes into the equation

5. deadone36

deadone36 Member

hi scorpNZm as for compression i have no idea how much compression its doing. my dvd is baran new and it did the same thing on the old one as well so i cancelled the dvd player being at fault.

6. onya

onya Guest

TDK's are good media, i used them for ages with almost no probs...i know that this will cause Creaky to roll around in fits of laughter and or disgust. Take the real good advice i got and use Verbatims or if you can get them, use Taiyo Yuden.

A small point to make also Mick, is that some older standalone players can't/won't recognise the +R format, all players recognise the -R's. I've stuck to the -R for that reason, there's nothing worse than someone borrowing your backup and telling you that you've done a crappy job coz it wont play.

One final point that scorpNZ made is compression. If you can reduce your target size or "footprint" it'll keep the data away from the outer edge of the disc and try not to fit too much on the one disc even though it may be convienient. After all, there is a price to pay and gawd knows we don't wanna pay too much eh?

All the best.

7. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Assuming your using 4gb disks is there any reason why you don't do a few burns with only one movie on each disc then check for the issue,after all is fine add a 2nd movie & check this will eliminate issues with the comp,nero & your drive which will leave your putting to much on one disc unless you've done this before & all has been ok in which case i would ask what has changed i.e was nero updated was the drive replaced,switching to a diff media etc

8. deadone36

deadone36 Member

ok guys, again a big thanx for the help and tips.. all day 2day i have converted the avi files into dvd using winavi. then i have used dvd shrink and added a mamimum of 4 clips. as in 4 seasons in this case of star trek voyager. then using winavi created dvd files from them all into 1 complete 1. so far i have used roughly about 2 gig on each dvd and all seems great, perfect playback and no jumping. i have done about 9 dvd 2day all the same way and all of them are great. so only thing that could of been causing the problem was adding to big a file onto the dvd. i have noticed doing it this way it obviously dont burn to the outer edge of the discs. as for using +r discs as onya pointed out. my dvd player can play every file type including divx etc and all the discs i used 2day were dvd +R and worked great.

thanx to you all my problem yet again has been solved :)

now i no if i need any more help on this type of thing this is the place i will be coming to for help.

kind regards
    mick

9. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

sweet as just let me know where i send the bill too, don't worry i'll name my own price :D

edit: there's no reason for you not to use all the space on each dvd as there's no compresion involved if the amount of data being applied to that free space does'nt exceed the dvd's data limit & it is actualy ok to exceed that limit by a small amount & that's where compression comes in, the problems arise when far too much compression is used to fit far too much data,so for arguments sake lets say you can comfortably fit & compress 6gb of data to a 4gb disc but anything over 6gb & shit starts to happen,to find the dvd's compression limit you'd have to fit one extra movie at a time to see when it starts to play up,my rule of thumb is not to go below 80% of compression on any given movie but in actual fact attempt to edit the movie to increase that number to as close to 100%,by doing so i'm decreasing the amount of compression i need hence a better playing movie.

edit 2 : yeah shrink's brilliant don't forget it allows you to remove the beginning of frames & the end frames so you can dump the credits n stuff lowering the amount of compression needed to fit more movies on one disc,using the re-author you can also remove un-needed language files & selecting only one set of sound decreasing the size of the movie overall

Last edited: Dec 5, 2007
  10. deadone36

deadone36 Member

i did have another question tho, for instance when i was burning the file as a single avi file of about 350mb onto a blank dvd it would take about 2 hours to burn and it would say on the bottom for the file size that it was junt under the maximum file size to fot onto the disc. how can that be and %90 of the time i had troubled playback when doing it this way.. is it best to convert them like i have been as i dont seem to be saving time as i have to convert every single one.

thanx
    mick

11. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Since i make backups of movies i own & don't convert avi's the only thing i can think of is the avi is a compressed format of some sort & the burning program recognises this so does it's magic & uncompresses it.

Unless somene can help with the 2nd part of your post it may have to be asked in a new topic to see if there's a more efficient way of converting the avi's to be honest i doubt there is coz doing what i do takes a while on occasions sometimes upto an hour from rip to completed burn,tho i do have it on very slow burn