1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Joining AVI files

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by topgazza, Dec 30, 2004.

1. topgazza

topgazza Member

A while ago someone recommended a programme that joins AVI files into one continuous file for conversion to DVD.

I did try it and it consisted of drag and dropping the two avi files into a box and they would be joined up when you chose the conversion format

Anyone any ideas please

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Load the first piece with Virtualdub, then do File ___ Append AVI segment and load the second one. But when you "Save as AVI" the sum of the 2 movies you need again to use a lossy AVI codec. Why don't multiplexing the MPG you obtain by encoing the AVIs with TMPGenc? (file __ MPEG tools __ Simple Multiplex)
    More than that, I'm against authoring a DVD with some .AVI movies having a little quality (an .AVI movie is more or less 700-800 MB big, much smaller than the 4.5 GB .VOB file of a DVD).

3. topgazza

topgazza Member

Thanks for the tip. I'll try the TMPG route as well. DOH! Didn't realsie you could do that with it.

I agree with the quality issue its just for those AVI's I have been given. I suppose SVCD is probably the best I could expect in maintaining some sort of quality and should just stick to that as one of the multi files is SVCD anyway.

4. stardust

stardust Regular member

Aldaco12 wrote:
    Incorrect, when using "direct stream copy" for both video and audio, you don't need to re-compress it with any codec. Don't use full processing mode when joining two avi's.

5. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Right, stardust. I never did it I never tink I could choose 'direct stream copy'.