1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

joining programs together.

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by gymrat, Sep 22, 2004.

1. gymrat

gymrat Member

hi
    i have 8 tv series called bottom on the hard drive and want to put them all onto 1 DVD..the total size of them is 3 gb.
    i normally use Virtual dub to join avi's..but i normally just join 2 halves together of a movie.

now i want to put 8 programs onto dvd do i just keep adding them into virtual dub and save a one big file then encode ?

and after encoding them will the size change. ?

Thanks

2. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

You could join them together or you could encode them separately and author them to a single DVD. The problem is, assuming they're encoded with some kind of MPEG-4 codec (Divx, Xvid, 3ivx, etc,...), they're much smaller than they'll be if you encode them to MPEG-2 to make them DVD compliant. If the files are high quality to begin with, I don't recommend trying to put more than 2-3 hours on a single DVD-R.

3. gymrat

gymrat Member

how do i author them after encoding then?
    i use dvd santa for encoding by the way.

4. vurbal

That depends on whether you're willing to spend money on the authoring program and if you want menus. To do it for free (no menus), I'd recommend using Rejig to author each episode individually, and then DVD Shrink's Re-Author feature to put them all on a single disc. For a commercial solution, I'd recommend either TMPGEnc DVD Author for simple menus or DVD-Lab for more complex menus.

5. gymrat

gymrat Member

i have been using tmpeg dvd author for a while now..but never created menu etc... is it easy enough to do then?

6. vurbal

From what I remember it is. I haven't used it for a long time. I just remember it being easy from the trial version I tested out shortly after it first came out.

7. gymrat

gymrat Member

ok thanks for the help.

8. vurbal

No problem ;)