1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Joinning two videos of different frame rates...with VD; im giving up

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by ZeroX114, Dec 26, 2007.

1. ZeroX114

ZeroX114 Member

Hi guys,
    After lots of trial and errors trying to join 2 videos with different frame rate (25 vs 29.xxx) with the help of Virtualdub, I have tried zillion of other softwares; yet I keep failiing.
    I tried the following with VD, but it is still not working.

-----
    select Video, Full Processing. Select Video, framerate. Select "Convert to fps", and input the desired framerate.
    Select Video, Compression, and choose a codec. Select File, Save AVI.
    Do exactly the same in step 2, choosing the same codec, framerate and compression.
    Go to STEP 3.
    ------

I copied/pasted from another thread. It has been written by a user named "rebootjim" so credits goes to him.

But as I said, it didn't work and it is starting to driving me crazy. So please tell me how to convert 2 avis with different frame rates?

2. attar

attar Senior member

If they have different frame-rates, what I do is load the first file.
    Set video and audio to direct stream copy.
    Under Frame rate control, check 'Change so video and audio durations match' (they are frequently fractionally different), then directly underneath that, check 'Convert to fps' and set it to the actual value at the first line (Current ? fps).

Save the file with new name.

Load (not append) the second file and do the same as above.

Load the first file and append the second
    Note that if it allows the append, then you can save both with 'Direct Stream Copy' for the audio and video, but often you might find that the video sampling rates, frame size, video decompressor and audio sampling rates are different also and you cannot append until those are resolved.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2007
  3. ZeroX114

ZeroX114 Member

I did what you instructed me but now, it's giving me the following message:

Cannot append segment <filename>
    The video streams have different data formats.

The error message is not specific enough. What could the different data formats be?

4. attar

attar Senior member

I take it that the frame rate message disappeared.
    The message is suggesting that the video compression of the files is significantly different - even though the file information may suggest that they are the same
    I think you will now have to do what was suggested in your initial post; re-compress the video for each file, separately, with the same codec and the same settings, then append them.It means a drop in quality, but you judge.

5. ZeroX114

ZeroX114 Member

I forgot to state that I did that too.
    After I got the message "The video streams have different data formats. " , I recompressed both of the new files with DIVX, but it gave me the same error.

They have the same compression and same framerate...what else could be different?
    Is there like a program that give the state of each video so I can tell exactly what are the differences?

6. attar

attar Senior member

VirtualDub gives the information under 'File' 'File Information'

Features I have changed to join files:
    Frame rate (fps)
    Frame size 620x480, etc using 'Resize' Filter
    Video data rate, set in Video Compression (using same method XviD, DivX)
    Audio sample rate, Lame mp3 4800,128,Stereo in the Audio Compression

Can't think of anything else now.

7. ZeroX114

ZeroX114 Member

I've been working for an hour and a half on it now (excluding the previous days) -_- but I'm getting close thanks to you. I believe I have finished matching the videos, because the error that is now giving me when I try to append is a message regarding a mismatch of audio so it is now time for the audio. The message it is giving me is the following:

Cannot append segment <filename>: The audio streams have different sampling rates (28000.00000 Vs. 16000.00000)

When I try to re-compress the audio of one of the parts (part 1 to be specific) with the settings you gave me (Lame mp3 4800,128,Stereo in the Audio Compression ), it is giving me the following error:

No audio decompressor could be found to decompress the source audio format (source format tag: 0050)

Although, Part 2 has compressed without problems. What could be the problem?

I saved an image of the "file information" of each part. In case you haven't noticed I wrote the number of each on top.

Part1Part2

By the way, thanks for sticking by.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2007
  8. attar

attar Senior member

Before setting the audio compression, click on 'Convert' and change it to 48000, ok, then set the compression.

[​IMG]

9. ZeroX114

ZeroX114 Member

It is still giving me the same problem, with the same part; part 1.
    Could it be that the fact that the audio was uncompressed the whole time is the one that is causing trouble because I tried another episode of the same serie and it is giving me the same problem. However, I then tried joinning two other files of another serie by changing the video and audio aspects and it worked. Therefore, I believe the problem resides in that particular rip.

not sure if you understand what I mean. For example, at first, I was working on 'Serie A' , I have episode 35 cut in two parts, each with different aspects. I'm chaning their videos and audio aspects to become similar. Everything worked fine except when I want to change the audio compression of Part 1. It is giving the error message I typed in my previous reply. I then tried experimenting with episode 47 of the same serie. Episode 47 is also cut in two parts. The first part has been recorded by the same person, who made part 1 of ep35. This one gave me the same error message. However, part 2, which has been recorded by me, has successfully changed its audio compression.
    I then decided to experiment with another serie, 'Serie B', I had an episode with two parts but they finally gave a successful Append after I matched them up.

In conclusion, something is different in the rip of that guy. what could it be?

Sorry for the long post by the way

10. attar

attar Senior member

You are correct inasmuch as the audio compression and sampling rates must match.

These are your samples after you corrected the frame rates (FPS).

You can see that the video data rates are not exactly the same, 781/780 (so the video of both parts would be recompressed to match).

The audio rates are both 44100 - so the 'Convert' feature (under 'Audio') would not be required - but part one would need to be recompressed at a data rate to match part two.

Part one would be compressed with Lame mp3 44100,128,CBR stereo.

Both parts should look like this:

Video frame size and fps:352x240 25 fps
    Video decompressor:DivX
    Video data rate:780

Audio sampling:44100
    Compression:mp3
    Audio data rate:128

[​IMG]

11. ZeroX114

ZeroX114 Member

That's exactly what I did but it didn't work.
    Good news though, the merging has finally been successful!
    I googled "Virtualdub tag 0050" and after few minutes of research, I downloaded and installed a software called "GoldWave". I opened "part 1" and chose "Save as" and recorded its sound as .mp3 format. So now, I have the audio only of part 1 in .mp3. I opened virtualdubMod, I opened the stream list, removed its original audio and added the mp3 one and I was finally able to compress it.
    So now the files have finally fused together.

I have one little problem though, when I wanted to merge the other episode, I couldn't find "Lame MP3" in the audio compression list anymore. How can I get it back?
    As I also have it in .rar format, I even tried to unrar it and replaced all the files but it didn't get it back.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2007
  12. attar

attar Senior member

Praise the Lord.

Since Lame is a System wide application, it should be available to any version of VirtualDub.
    Lame can be uninstalled from the Control Panel and reinstalled.

13. ZeroX114

ZeroX114 Member

I got it back and joined the other episode successfully.

In the end, everything went like I wanted. Thanks a lot man, I really couldn't do it without your help.
    Thanks for everything :)

Happy New Year!