1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

jump from windows to Ubuntu software help!

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by vinman123, Dec 5, 2010.

1. vinman123

vinman123 Member

Hope this is posted in correct forum!

Ok my windows xp pro box had a few Trojans so I made the jump to Ubuntu 10.10

I am so used to nero for avi to dvd format ---> clone to dvdrom ---> to my dvd player
    "this was pretty simple after a few tries"

Now I am experimenting with DeVeDe for avi to ISO---> GnomeBaker to dvdrom "ISO" image--->to my dvd player..

Now this seems to be working when I us GnomeBaker to burn ISO image as after burn I see the VIDEO_TS folder....It works but was wondering if this is the best way to go about this any other ideas?

2. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

k3b .. that's what you want

and tovid/todisk instead of devede (which I have found to be very buggy)

you also will need dvdrwtools and a few other things, but your real swiss army knife is avidemux .. and forget wine and windows things.. we have way better tools.. command line even if you want... have a read.. really explains everything (learn to read scripts, but theres an easy way further down)

It's my work .. http://afterdark13.11.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=75

3. vinman123

vinman123 Member

Thanks K3b worked out fine..looks good..

so far DeveDe is working fine getting an ISO image "but seems to shrink and lose quality" not sure have to research more....

using GnomeBaker to burn ISO to disc.....not bad so far

I'll check out your suggestions "I see they have to be installed via command line" still getting use to that :)

also definitely take a look at your work it looks very detailed :)

thanks

PS-DeVeDE...seems after converting avi to ISO big degrade in quality! any suggestions?... I come from Windows and on Ubuntu and noticed when ISO is burned to DVD it way to small and quality is affected.. I am assuming this is during conversion...

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  4. Fenric

Fenric Member

If you're not afraid of the CLI, I use this method to create my .isos from VIDEO_TS folders:

To burn the disk, I use Nero for Linux, or sometimes, Brasero, which is now a lot better than it used to be. I tend to avoid Gnomebaker, since I heard it was no longer being developed.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  5. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

ok.. quality loss.. heres the way to take control.. convert your avi to mpeg2 dvd compliant before authoring.. avidemux or ffmpeg will do the trick. read up on usage, both have quirks and ways to get 100% quality in and out with no shrinking.

There was a reason I went to dvd-author.. no transcoder.. but also as suggested tovid/todisk worked beautifully for a one click solution.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011