1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jumpy AVI on DVD

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by noncomjd, Feb 7, 2007.

1. noncomjd

noncomjd Member

I hope this is where this belongs. I am not really new to burning dvd's, I have been doing it for a bit, I don't understand all of the technical aspects, but i can get by. I use a variety of programs including Nero and Dvd santa, most times i get pretty good results. I recently burned an avi using nero, the majority of the dvd was very good, a little more than half way through, the dvd got very jumpy, moving a frame a time, and those frames were distorted.
    I then took that avi and used dvd santa to burn it, again the majority of the dvd was good, except the same thing happened again at a different point on the dvd. I was reading a little about ffdshow and was wondering does that take the of xvid or divx as a converter? would it help to DL that and uninstall the other two?
    Does Nero and santa use their own codex to convert avi to burn to dvd or do they rely on what is on the machine, and if they do, could i plug ffdshow or a different codex into those programs?

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Hi noncomjd,

Have you played the file from your Hard Drive? if so how does it play from there? If you are not having any issues with the file on your hard drive after it is converted to the proper format then your issues or probably media related and not software related. You could try burning at a nice slow speed like x4 and or getting quality media.

Cheers!

3. noncomjd

noncomjd Member

It interesting you mentioned media, i just bought a new brand of DVD's and started using them (ridata) before I was using verbatim and Phillips.
    The files on the hard drive appear to be fine. I will try again at a slower speed, failing that, I found an old blank verbatim I will try that.

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Yeah I am willing to bet it is the media you are using.

5. noncomjd

noncomjd Member

Burned the ridata dvd at the slower speed, no jumps. I guess I should have shelled out the extra money for the netter disks and after kust reading your guide should have stayed away from the Taiwan brand dvd's. By the way...picked up number of other good bits of information from your guides as well.

Are there any guide with respect to ffdshow? I've never used it before, I read raves about it. Am I mistaken in thinking it is a codec, like divx or xvid? Or an i mistaken about what those two are?

Thanks bbmayo for the help, it was much appreciated.