1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just a simple question

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by truth721, Jan 26, 2007.

1. truth721

truth721 Regular member

hey this is just a simple question i'm doin converting from avi to dvd and i've been doin it for quite a while now and i was wondering if i want my convertions to look high quality will i need a great graphics card? i was just wondering

2. tailschao

tailschao Regular member

your graphics card has no effect whatsoever on the quality of conversions. Nothing like a straight answer is there? ;-)

3. truth721

truth721 Regular member

oh really wow thats something new i learn, ok so if its not the graphics card ( i bet its probably something i have already) then what do i need to create high quality dvds, i'm just wondering cuz the dvds i'm making theres good quailty i just wanna learn some more stuff i guess. is there something i need to keep some of the quality thats taken away when converting?

4. tailschao

tailschao Regular member

Well the .avi's are already very compressed anyway, so the conversion is never going to look wonderful. But never try to store more than 2 hrs on DVD5. If the bitrate of the DVD is high enough then the DVD should look the same as the .avi Also the software you use has an impact on the quality of the output, although I doubt it makes a lot of difference with a XviD source. If you want a really HQ DVD then you need the retail DVD9 and CCE ( http://www.cinemacraft.com/eng/index.html ) at 6 Passes to get it onto a DVD5. But if you have to use avi sources then you've probably got as much quality as you can.

5. truth721

truth721 Regular member

oh i see well the programs i'm using are winavi and dvd shrink. so you're saying if i use dvd9 and then shrink it to dvd5 the quality will be HQ or a little less than HQ

6. tailschao

tailschao Regular member

Well High Quality is completely subjective of course. I'm not saying convert to DVD9 then shrink to DVD5, I'm saying instead of using .avi's that you downloaded off the net as source, use retail/rental DVD9 as the source. Of course, I do (not) condone renting movies, copying them then returning them. Ahem. If you do go from the official released DVD9 then the quality will be greatly improved over the .avi you downloaded.

7. truth721

truth721 Regular member

oh ok thanks, lol ahem but the official dvds are too high or the subs are not up to par but thanks, i'll just continue what i'm doin till i get money lol