1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just asking for opinion on motherboard

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by dltyrrell, Jun 28, 2008.

1. dltyrrell

dltyrrell Member

I am upgrading from a intel DP965Lt w/E6600 cpu. I recently purchased the Q9450 and gigabyte EP35-DS4 motherboard. I am running vista 64 with 8 gig of XMS2 DDR2 800. I really don't want to replace the memory. So, is this a good setup or should I change out the motherboard? Also have the following:

Cool Master 650W PS
    BFG 8800GT

Thanks.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's fine, you should still be using DDR2 nowadays anyway, DDR3 really isn't worth bothering with, you've chosen a good motherboard.

3. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

sammorris is right. heres my two cents....

ddr2 is here to stay and having 8 gigs of it I would definetly stick with a ddr2 motherboard. but on the other hand ddr3 is making strides into the memory market and will replace ddr2 someday but that isn't expected to be for a while.

if you want there are a assortment of boards based on intels p35 and p45 chipset that are compatible with ddr2 and ddr3 memory. Not saying this is the best route but it would allow you to use your current memory and switch to ddr3 down the road if you wish.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Indeed, such as the P35C-DS3R, but realistically there's no need to change the board just for that purpose since he's already bought one.

5. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

i predict Q1 2009 will be the DDR3 era. (due to mainstream nahelm)