1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

just bought 5 sea gate barracuda hard drives need a little advice

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by bustafree, Jun 7, 2007.

1. bustafree

bustafree Member

i just bought 5 sata seagate barracuda 750 gb hard drives. as you can see i mean big bisness over here 3 tb :). well i plan to make a raid array and i am looking at a sonnet fusion model 500p, i dont wana buy junk and i want to know what you guys think?, if it good speed, would these drive speed be the same like if it were installed inside the pc?, will hard drives keep cool bieng that i plan to have the raid array on 247. if you guys know of any better raid array boxes i would greatly aprreciate the info...

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It all depends what RAID system you're using.

RAID0: 3.75TB, max speed, reduced redundancy (if one drive fails, lose all 3.75TB)
    RAID1: 1.50TB, good speed, redundant (one drive from each pair can fail and all data is kept), but one drive has to remain out of the RAID array
    RAID5: 3.00TB, ok speed, redundant (one drive can fail and all data is kept)
    RAID6: 2.25TB, ok speed, redundant (two drives can fail and all data is kept)

I'd probably recommend RAID5. Hardware RAID is also much faster than software RAID.
    As for the controller, not sure, haven't used one.