1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just built a new system but...

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by ima49311, Nov 16, 2005.

1. ima49311

ima49311 Regular member

again man.. rug, thanks alot!! i appreciate the help. so what do you think i should do about the ULI drivers? that was something the tech support at activison said i should do as well, but i couldnt find them. think i should still do THAT at least?
    also, 1 last and final question... COOL N QUIET... abled or disabled.. what do you think? ive read both.. thanks again for the help.. 1

2. DemonDog

DemonDog Regular member

You disable Cool'n'Quiet if you're going to overclock because it throttles back on the fans to keep them "quiet". So even though you're not overclocking since you have a temperature problem disable the cool and quiet.

The temps you reported with the sides off are very good, right in line with what you should expect.

I searched for your case and found this review on anandtech.com

http://www.anandtech.com/casecooling/showdoc.aspx?i=2187

I notice that you have two ide hard drives, the case has an input fan on the front that blows over the hard drives, I'd be willing to bet that between the hard drives and the ide cables that they are BLOCKING the IN AIR flow from the front of the case. Get some ROUND IDE cables and this will help, also move the hard drives so that they are NOT directly in front of the fan. If the fan is in the middle of the 5 drive bay, put one HD in the top slot, one in the bottom. Tuck and tie your drive cables and power connectors out of the way so you get good AIR FLOW. FLOW is the important word here.

For the rear fan, do the same thing, make sure that you've not got the fan blocked in, move/tie cables and cords to the side as much as possible.

You can always replace the fans with higher CFM (cubic feet/minute) ones. Look at the db rating to give you an idea of noise.

Also what CPU cooling are you using. If stock then that should be your first upgrade. I really like my XP-90 with Panaflo HO (high output) fan, it dropped temps by over 10c, got it here.

http://www.heatsinkfactory.com/ThermalRight-XP-90-p-16160.html

Notice if you use this place to order you need to specify which "tail" (power connector), a 3pin to mobo or 4 pin to molex. Artic 5 Silver is the most used thermal compound by OC'ers, you'll need some to place on the new heatsink if you need one.

Setting processor affinity should not affect the temperatures, but it will affect game stability, lots of games don't like dual cores unless you set the affinity. Most of the games that come out in 2006 will likely not need this work around and a few will even start to make real use of dual cores.

3. rugripper

rugripper Guest

hey man,

listen to the dog he knows,also yea download uli driver 2.1,pc will run better.disable cool and quit suxs the monkey,donkey and all the animals on old mcdonalds farm.up and running,what a bitch.the drivers on the mobo disc were bad,suxed.....hey dog going to fire up the ni oxcide see what this baby can do after i update....peace.....btw ima...look in previous post the driver web site is right there.1695 uli driver,thats the one you download and install....glad to hear everything is worked out.....as ddp would put it,i wont spoil it for everybody that dosent know yet...you will find out...lol.....hey dog,get my sympathy card on other post...lol...sorry dude....peace

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2005
  4. ima49311

ima49311 Regular member

well, i updated the uli drivers.. no change as i can see yet.. but its not worse.. so thats good.. and i changed the 120 exhaust fan in the back to a better one (i think).. i can at least feel the air flowing from the back now.. and i added a 80mm fan on the side of the case as well, for an intake fan.. seems to work a little better.. altho, im idle temp is now around 43C.. when im running cod2 it gets up to about 54C.. i think that is still too high since it ended up crapping out about 1 hour into the game.. am i wrong?

so, i guess that just leaves upgrading the CPU fan right? id hate to shell out another 50 bucks just to down the temp like 5C.. do you guys think its worth the upgrade? right now its just the stock fan that came with the x2 4200s.... i really dont want to have to open up my case everytime i want to play cod2.. maybe it was a fluke that it worked well to begin with with the case open.. i guess i'll have to test it again tomorrow night.. any other ideas? oh i also moved the 2 hds apart that were possibly blocking the front intake fan.. didnt seem to do much.. thanks for the help again..

5. DemonDog

DemonDog Regular member

So you're using the STOCK FAN & HEATSINK? As I stated I had over a 10C drop in load temperatures by changing the heatsink & fan. Also you can take the stock fan and any other spare fans and use wire/zip ties/string/etc. and hang them over heat sensitve areas of your board like the ULI chipset to cool them.

6. rugripper

rugripper Guest

thats an awesome idea dog.thats a powerful cpu,it needs cooling.also are you sure you are reading cpu temps and not gpu temps.some girl went thru all of this, come to find out here gpu[graphics proc. unit] was heating up not her cpu.just have to ask,hate when people waste money.if it is your cpu,definally get a heatsink\fan and some artic silver 5.do you know how to install a heatsink?just wondering....peace ima

7. ima49311

ima49311 Regular member

well, i took another route again to see what would happen.. i "borrowed" a couple pci exhaust blowers from my work, and stuck 2 in my system.. i over my video card and another 1 two slots under.. check out these temps... this is idle mind you.. but quite a significant decrease from the post i made before.. what do you think??
    http://img286.imageshack.us/img286/8756/newtemps2qk.jpg
    im gonna keep these going and see how they hold up when playing COD2.. since thats when all the fits hit the shan..

btw.. how many peripherals can you have daisy chained on the same power cord (ie 2 hard drives on 1, 2 dvd drives on 1).. right now i have one of my main power cords going to 2 hard drives and then to these 2 exhaust blowers.. is that ok? i wouldnt think those would drain too much power.. thought id ask.. as a rule of thumb whats the limit i be thinking about?

anyway.. i guess i'll be back on tonight for an update.. thanks again..

8. rugripper

rugripper Guest

hey your pc is real cool now.that was it,to much heat inside the case.where are you in call of duty 2?im in the campain,or was.have to start all over again but the game is awesome.....peace....how the game running?because the game does have a couple of lags when you get really into the action.

9. ima49311

ima49311 Regular member

well, i spoke too soon.. i guess those were the temps before the computer really heated up.. basically right after i turned it on.. anyway, i let it run awhile and they went up to around 38C for CPU which i guess is still pretty good.. but once i started playing COD2 it REALLY heated up again cuz it crapped out YET again.. dont know what it really got up to, but when i checked the bios on reboot it showed 51C CPU and 42MB.. which i didnt think sounded too hot... but anyway, i opened up the case again tonight and it played fine again!!! these are the temps after about 1 hr of playing time
    http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/1348/newtemps27zv.jpg
    so i dont know which is overheating now when the case is shut.. the mobo, the cpu, the vid card?!?! this is frustrating the hell outta me... id hate to go out and spend more money on a heatsink/fan that isnt going to cool whats needed to be cooled... any suggestions.. i mean, i guess the worst that happens is i just play COD2 with the case open and fan pointed directly into it.. but thats pretty ghetto in my book.. any suggestions are welcome as always.. thanks again

btw.. rug.. i just started and finished the 1st mission for the american campaign.. does that mean im almost done?!? it looks like i am.. i hope new missions open up or something.. cuz im flying thru this thing.. granted im playing on normal.. next time i up it for a real challenge. lol.. 1

ps.. i just realized i set the affinity this last time as well, but didnt before when the case was closed.. you think that mattered?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2005
  10. rugripper

rugripper Guest

do this first to make sure this heatsink is your problem.put a fan blowing in case on a angle so it blows in and out of the case.then play your cod2[last campain is american,the games alot of fun though]for an hour but leave you temps for the graphic card on the desktop so you can see them.you can alt-tab in game to see what the gpu temp is.i will bet you that the video card is the problem not the cpu.46c is normal and 50c wont make it crash.try this before spending money,ok?....peace bro

11. ima49311

ima49311 Regular member

how do i tell which temp is for the video card? i dont think pcwizard shows that temp.. should i use another program?
    and im not sure i fully understand what you mean by putting a case fan at an angle.. could you explain that a little more..
    also, if it IS my video card.. is there anything i can do about that? i mean, i have the two exhaust blowers surrounding the video card itself, so i would think that would help with the heat.. let me know what you think.. thanks again

12. rugripper

rugripper Guest

i meant a house fan.and doesnt ati have something in the video card manager that you can see how hot th3e gpu is.right click on desktop,go to properties,sould say advance,click on that,then select your graphics card,and look for temps.if not download everest home,look for gpu temps uder sensor under computer.your temps will be there gpu temps and cpu temps,etc....ok?....pease bro

13. ima49311

ima49311 Regular member

well, i cant find any kind of temp monitor with the ATI software and everest said it doesnt support my card once i installed it.. any other suggestions?? i tried speedfan, but no gpu temp is displayed.. any other programs that might work? thanks again...

14. rugripper

rugripper Guest

blow a fast house fan at it,not directly at it.like blow the fan so it blows at the front of the card on an angle so the air blows from the front to the back of the card,then play cod2.if it dosnt crash then you need better cooling to your graphic card and not your cpu.hell you might need both but why spend money if you dont have too,right?......still tring to get this problem,so far we updated everything and got the cpu cooler.i have a feeling its that graphic cards cooler and you can make that card cooler with artic silver but you void the warrenty.that why it so important to track the prob down......im still here hopefully this fan thing will work and then we will know it is the card .

look at this pic...thats what dog was talking about.tieing fans to your video card:

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=33717516&perpage=20&pagenumber=9

you can tie a couple of fans like the one in the pic,let them suck out hot air and let the house fan blow the way i said,ok?peace

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2005
  15. ima49311

ima49311 Regular member

hey rug... i just noticed something.. i got everest running on my computer.. and under mobo chipset it says uli 1689 AMD HAMMER.. but you told me to download 1695.. i know this isnt really going to cause my probs.. but it looks like i updated my uli with the wrong drivers right? oh and everest doesnt list anything for GPU under sensors.. what do you think? im gonna try the fan thing tonight after lost.. we'll see what happens.. thanks again

btw.. i was looking at those zalman vga fans today.. you know if those are any good? it comes with heatsinks for the memory chips and the gpu fan.. seems like good reviews from people who bought them.. any experience with these?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2005
  16. rugripper

rugripper Guest

im sorry man about the drivers,you are right.they are 1689.thats why i always tell people to download everest.try the fan, see if it crashes.if not,id get that heat-fan and some artic silver 5.if you want to save money just use the fan....peace

17. ima49311

ima49311 Regular member

ok, well, i opened the case.. pointed the fan at the vid card only (or at least tried to).. played fine.. not a single fart in the system.. i felt the card too.. REAL hot, but i dont know how hot is normal to the touch.. cant say ive felt many vid cards while using them.. anyway.. does this pretty much mean its the vid card overheating since it doesnt freeze up with the fan blowing in there?! and does this mean i should look into vid card cooling or overall tower cooling?

oh btw, i wrote down some temps from my system--
    case closed idle: CPU 38C, MB 37C, HDs 40C
    case open idle: CPU 36C, MB 28C, MDs 35C
    case open running COD2: CPU 47/49C, MB 30C, HDs 38C

well, after looking at what i just typed it seems with the side open im getting WAY lower temps.. so the vid card may be causing the freezing up but i can certainly get my overall system temp down with better cooling.. i just need to know the best route for that..

is it safe to say that i should get a vga fansink AND a new CPU fansink as well after seeing these results? still looking for a way to find the temp of the GPU.. so far everest/ati/pc wizard dont tell me squat! any other suggestions?

thanks again

Last edited: Nov 23, 2005
  18. rugripper

rugripper Guest

yea man,knew it.usaully is the video card.those f***in things always get so hot.what i did with my 6800gt is : take apart clean up with rubbing alcohol the more percentage of alcohol the better.dont press hard on anything and dont soak the card or it will have to dry overnight.take some artic silver 5.place some on the gpu.i put a thin coat on the gpu and then i put a big blob in the middle about the size of a pea and make sure the metal on the heatsink is cleaned and take a little as5 and rub it into heatsink where gpu will touch it and wipe off.that will fill the inperfections up. little dabs on the rams.that card used to run at 75c and higher,now it runs between 50c and 60c.never crashes anymore.so you can try that.spread the artic... with a toothpick,use it kind of sideways,ok?.........peace

happy thanksgiving

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2005
  19. ima49311

ima49311 Regular member

so let me get this right.. you are saying JUST use artic silver.. nothing else?? no added fan
    or heatsink or anythiing.. just put the artic silver on all those pieces on the card? Just
    trying to clarify.. thanks again for the help.. and happy turkey day to you...
    later

btw.. someone in another forum said it might be my memory causing problems.. any
    thoughts? this is what cpuz said.. http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/2114/
    cpuid8qi.jpg
    i guess since they arent EXACT chips.. dual mode may be screwing up.. what do you think?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2005
  20. rugripper

rugripper Guest

hey man,

i couldnt see your fileshack pic,didnt work.i personally dont think its your mem[ram].your video card is definitely the problem.yea man,clean up the video card like i said,put the artic silver 5[make sure you use that brand,as5 is the most pure out there]on the gpu and ram chips like i said.you will see the little ram chips when you take the card a part.the temps will drop dramatically.make sure the card is dry before you stick it back together and put back in pc or you will think you broke it.there will be alot of artifacting if you dont let the alcohol dry before appling the as5.ok?i really dont think its you ram.......peace bro...im so stuff from turkey day...damn...lol