1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just built a new system but...

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by ima49311, Nov 16, 2005.

1. ima49311

ima49311 Regular member

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/2114/cpuid8qi.jpg

here is that file.. the other guy seems to think its my memory causing a problem as well as OVERALL case heating issues.. he doesnt think that cooling my vid card is gonna do anything.. he thinks its my overall case that is getting too hot, which in turn is heating my vid card too hot.. which i guess makes sense if you look at my temps i posted in a previous post, everything was MUCH cooler when the case was opened.. i dont know what else i can do to keep the entire case cooler.. ive tried pretty much every fan configuration.. aside from water cooling this thing.. i know a better heatsink/fan for my cpu would help the cpu.. but id like to get my temps around to where they are when the case is open.. what do you think? thanks again for the help..

btw.. are you saying JUST use artic silver on the vid card.. with no aftermarket cooling fan? or do you mean to make sure i use artic silver when im putting the new vga cooling fan on the card?? just trying to clear that up.. thanks again

2. rugripper

rugripper Guest

either or.i got the silencer 5 for my 6800gt,didnt do diddily squat....lol...i put as5 on vga card and put the original 2 fan cooler back:

http://www.bfgtech.com/6800GTOC.html

this is my old card,runs like a champ now that i cleaned off that gray crap that was on this card and replaced it with as5.after cleaning the grey shi- off first of corse.you can spend more money if you want but as5 is 6.99 usa dollars and the hs is 40 usa dollars.if it doesnt work go to plan b.buy a zem cooler like you said.get better dual channel kit memory.comes 2 in a pack,rated and tested for dual channel.get a bigger heatsink for that dual core.buy better intake and exit fans for case that draws and throws more air at low dbs.theres alot you can do and spend alot of money.if i were you,id start with your local pc store like comp usa.buy artic silver for next to nothing and try that.if that doesnt work.change your case fans.if that dosent work.change your heatsink.if that dosent work.add more intake and exit fans[mod the case]if that dosent work.go buy a jet enjine and point it at your pc and then play your game......lol...oh and last but not least add a little fan over your ram to cool it down and buy those better ram coolers from the pc store if you dont already have them.those metal hs help cool the memory chips on your ram sticks.if you dont have them get them.hope this helps you out bro.....gave you alot of things to think about....but remeber:

your pc ran fine with the fan blowing at the video card.means one thing to me.your video card is not cooling fast enough.btw you can buy a cooling fan that can go under v card and throw some of the heat out of the case.buy ram heatsinks for memory.buy artic silver 5 for the v cards hs\fan.i would start here

3. ima49311

ima49311 Regular member

ok.. thanks for the help.. i guess i'll start with the artic silver and keep the orig fan on the vid card.. see if that helps.. you said just use alcohol right? if that doesnt work, will the fan still come off after the as5 is set? so i guess i'll try this order...

AS5 on the stock vid card fan
    VGA heatsink/fan w/AS5
    CPU heatsink/fan
    Exhaust/Intake Fans for case
    mem heat spreaders
    Jet Engine

i'll probably end up getting new memory towards the end of the year anyway.. so i'll put that off till later.. let me know when you can.. thanks again.. i'll let you know what happens..

4. ima49311

ima49311 Regular member

5. rugripper

rugripper Guest

yea man,put that under the card.get something like this for your ram:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835110104

thats what im talking about.an exhaust fan.....

look at this,dont know how good it is or if it goes on pci-e but it looks kool

http://www.thermaltake.com/watercooling/cl-w0052TideWater/cl-w0052.htm

heres something even crazier never have to worry again...lol
    look at this:

http://www.thermaltake.com/watercooling/cl-w0037Volcano4005/cl-w0037.htm

these are all different water coolers:

http://www.water-cooling.com/

-the heatsink looks awesome

theres some crazy cooling if you want to spend your bank account on your gaming machine...lol....not me brother...lol...heres one:

http://www.octools.com/index.cgi?caller=articles/asetek/lightspeedl/lightspeed.html

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2005
  6. ima49311

ima49311 Regular member

well, im not down to put in a water cooling system but im gonna try the artic silver stuff... i tried to remove the vid card heatsink and fan, but it didnt want to budge.. any ideas? i didnt want to break the thing, but how hard should it be to remove? would it be better to try it when its hot or cool? thanks

7. rugripper

rugripper Guest

you took all the screws out right?had to ask....lol....yea man...dont heat up to much or you will burn yourself.that 85c is 107f

hot stuff,kind of hard to take a part.just pull evenly.dont like try to spin it off like i did once along time ago and ripped the ram thermal pads off.you figure that thermal goop they put on turns hard and almost liquid constantly so its going to be a little hard to get off.also if you can pull the fan plug so when it does come apart you dont rip it out of the card...like i almost did...lol...peace bro...hope this works......send me your email.i will send you pics of mine,ok?peace

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2005
  8. rugripper

rugripper Guest

hey ima
    did you look at slideshow?what do you think?

9. ima49311

ima49311 Regular member

yeah i took the screws out.. come on now! still pretty stuck tho.. i checked out the pics too.. looks nice.. alot of cables.. and whats the big blue block over your cpu? is that a fan? i cant decide if i should buy the pci exhaust/fan and put that under my vid card and/or buy the new cpu heatsink/fan (but if i cant get the orig off?????), and/or new cpu/heatsink.. but again if i cant get the cpu fan off.. im kinda f'd.. still need the artic silver tho.. what do you think i should do?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2005
  10. rugripper

rugripper Guest

thats a star ice heatsink and fan made by asus:

http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/asusicecooler/

i have the blue one instead of red,thing is a monster

i know the power cables always suck...lol...you cant see my plats[ocz el platinium ram]those are sweet looking...i might just tie them off to give it more air but it runs fine like this...peace......

did you fix yours?

11. ima49311

ima49311 Regular member

no.. havent fixed it yet.. im still debating on which problem to tackle first and which product to buy for it.. any suggestions? im thinking start with the vid card cooling, but i dont know if that pci blower thing is gonna cut it, so should i just get that first or only a new heatsink/fan or both and which ones.. im reading alot of reviews off newegg and cant decide.. i really dont want to spend more than $50, $40 if i can get away with it.. or do i start with a new heatsink/fan for my cpu and then which one.. so many choices, so much reading.. i just dont want to waste my money any more on this thing with products that arent gonna work.. ya know?

12. rugripper

rugripper Guest

just get artic silver 5,thats the brand name.it comes in a syringe.try that first or just use your house fan its cheaper....lol...peace

13. ima49311

ima49311 Regular member

if i can get that damn fan off tho.. thanks... i'll give it another whirl when i get a chance.. i got a freelance project i gotta get done before i start ripping my computer apart.. 1

14. rugripper

rugripper Guest

thats cool .....that house fan is working for now right...lol...your right, run the pc for a little and then give it a go...later mate

15. rugripper

rugripper Guest

just checking to see if you fixed everything now.....peace

16. ima49311

ima49311 Regular member

ok, well, i got the artic silver yesterday.. my plan is to tackle my vid card today, and if it works out, my cpu tomorrow... any tips or suggestions?

17. rugripper

rugripper Guest

use a toothpick to spread the as5 ok?dont sdo the plastic bag trick
    other then that pretty easy...make sure you have a thin layer with no creaves in it.thats kind of a pain but its not that hard and when you get done and put them together dont slide the puppy around.you want to drop in place perfectly and then clamp or screw ok?...peace hope you get it sorted out...give me a shout...peace

18. ima49311

ima49311 Regular member

ok, got the fan off (with a little force).. but it peeled right off.. it left some sort of paste behind.. its kinda peach.. and looks like it spilled over the edge of the gpu itself and into the outer circuit board (but not the card it self).. so i guess im gonna scrape off what i can, use some alcohol, and then put on the as5.. that right?

19. rugripper

rugripper Guest

dont scrape...damn you have some nice words...lol...use the alcohl on that gpu and the ram chips and the metal part of heatsink make sure its all clean and dry.then apply the as5 and after thin layer then put it together....put enough so when you put it together there is no gap between the heatsink and the gpu....peace

20. ima49311

ima49311 Regular member

ok, well, its put back together.. i didnt put any on the ram tho.. i read that that stuff doesnt harden.. so i figured it might get on some other stuff inside.. dont want that.. so, should i let this sit for awhile before i put it back in? or fire it up right away?