1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just built a new system but...

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by ima49311, Nov 16, 2005.

1. rugripper

rugripper Guest

you were suppose to put a small drop in the center of the thermal ram pads on the heatsink...or on the ram chip themselves...too late now.....try it probably going to get funny in the middle of play like artifacting and such......if it does take it apart and do it right...lol...peace...you have t9o clean off all you put on and off the ram chips and start all over...it may work if you didnt clean off the thermal pads and theres still some there,probably not though....hope it works....later

2. ima49311

ima49311 Regular member

wait, i was SUPPOSED to leave the thermal pad on there? the website said to remove everything..and then reapply the arctic silver.. so before i put this back in should i buy a thermal pad or something? i dont want to short anything out or something.. i didnt put anything on the ram chips themselves, should i?? you thnk that will help alot? im new to this arctic silver stuff.. so i appreciate the help..
    ok, so let me clear it up step by step:
    1. take off the fan
    2. clean off the gpu and heatsink/fan
    3. apply thermal pad
    4. apply arctic silver to gpu and heatsink/fan thermal pad
    5. clean ram chips
    6. apply arctic silver to ram chips
    7. reinstall card

is that right? well, im off to the chargers game.. be back later tonight.. thanks again

3. rugripper

rugripper Guest

yea those thermal pads you threw away help keep the ram chips cool.you wont short anything out though...lol
    what may happen is the game will freeze or shut down...i dont know if you can buy those little pads for the ram chips.....thats why i wrote what to do .the gpu is probably fine but once you break the seal you have to start all over again.......those little pads that were around the gpu that go over you memory are needed to cool your memory and you threw them away......i hope you can find them in your pc store...so read carefully:

put a layer on the gpu[this is a layer not so thin that you can see the writing the says ati or what ever that says-mines nvidia

next put a drop of as5 in the center of ram chips-those are those black things on the video board-between 6-8 you know right

next make sure there is no gap between anything when you put it together-look through the side

lastly put in pc enjoy...lol...peace bro...i tried to help you

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2005
  4. ima49311

ima49311 Regular member

ok, well, i think im fine then.. cuz i didnt touch the ram chips.. just the gpu.. but i cleaned the gpu off completely (thats what there site said to do) and then put the arctic silver on it and the heatsink/fan, then put it back together.. sooooo, is that ok then? the ram chips are untouched.. but honestly it doesnt look like there is anything on them to begin with tho... let me know.. thanks again

5. rugripper

rugripper Guest

dont worry...just play and tell me how good it is now......what site taught you how?can you post...want to look at it....thx....peace

6. ima49311

ima49311 Regular member

sure.. the site is..http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm
    seemed pretty easy to follow.. anyway, off to work.. i'll throw it in when i get in tonight and let you know how it runs.. altho, i still have no way telling me the temp its running at.. everest and pcwizard dont say $#it for my vid card temps... thanks again

7. rugripper

rugripper Guest

did you do the plastic bag trick?...lol...that one sucks...also i hope you covered the whole thing and not just the center like he did....peace

8. rugripper

rugripper Guest

like the picture of the thick as5 is a good pic on how it should look just a little thinner...peace....hey ima almost forgot...thx...hows it doing btw

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2005
  9. ima49311

ima49311 Regular member

ok ,well.. i put her back in and played COD2.. played great.. no artifacts (that i say.. but what exactly was i looking for).. but i did open up the case during and touched the vid card.. seems WAY hotter than before.. i couldnt even keep my finger on it for more than like 5 secs.. also, my computer almost sounds louder too.. i dont know why.. but it does.. so, ya think its fine? should i just leave it alone? thanks again

10. rugripper

rugripper Guest

leave it go...thats great bro!!!!!.....peace ...get you game on!!!!!...lol

btw:artifacts are like in those old movies were you saw the funny stuff in the films...or a spot here and there dosent fill right in the game....or you see breaking up of the graphics...theres so much smoke and crap in cod2 dont know if your even going to see it...lol...peace

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2005
  11. ima49311

ima49311 Regular member

so, you're saying i shouldnt worry about the fact that it feels ALOT hotter than before? the sound at least subsided inside.. not as loud anymore.. thanks

12. rugripper

rugripper Guest

get everest or go to the manu site to see how you can check temp....peace....when that card gets too hot it will shut down...play have fun...peace

13. ima49311

ima49311 Regular member

ok, well, i have everest and it doesnt tell me the temp of my vid card.. so im out there.. i'll check the manu site again, but i dont think it said either.. thanks again for all the help.. i def appreciate it.. 1

14. rugripper

rugripper Guest

kool bro,if it aint broke dont fix it...lol...peace

15. ima49311

ima49311 Regular member

Hey Rug,
    im thinking i might get one of these and put it near my vid card to help keep it cooler.. which one do you think i would benefit more from.. the one with 2 fans, or the one with 1 fan and an exhaust blower.. i already have 1 exhaust blower in my system, but i guess i could always take that one out.. let me know your opinion.. thanks
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=120565&Tab=11&NoMapp=0
    or
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1597433&CatId=0
    i also found this too..
    http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=332236&pfp=BROWSE

oh, and maybe you, i keep forgetting to check.. but do heatsink fans on vid cards blow new air ON the gpu or help suck the hot air OFF the gpu? i was thinking off.. but wasnt sure..thanks

Last edited: Dec 7, 2005
  16. rugripper

rugripper Guest

yeah mate...they arnt that great but they do help us gamers out...lol...just beat king kong...awesome dude got to get it....peace