1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

just built first PC, having major problems

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by squizzle, Mar 16, 2005.

1. squizzle

squizzle Active member

OK, where to start. First here's my specs:

mobo: MSI K8TNeo2
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3400+ 939 socket
    RAM: Ultra PC3200 DDR 512MB x2
    HDD: Western Digital 200GB SATA
    DVD-ROM: LiteOn 16x SOHD-167T05C (Primary Master)
    DVD+-RW: LiteOn 4x LDW-411S (Secondary Master)
    Floppy drive I got from a junk computer at work
    Video Card: ATI Raedon 9800 All-In-Wonder 128MB
    Sound Card: Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
    PSU: Ultra X-Connect 500W

Problems: First off, after hooking everything up and turning it on, the power comes on but nothing happens. No POST, nothing on the monitor, nothing. I have this thing that came with the mobo that goes in an expansion slot that has 2 USB2.0 ports (plugged directly into USB2.0 controller on mobo) and 4 LED's. The LED's are either red or green and are for diagnostic purposes. When I first turned it on all 4 LED's were red, which according to the mobo manual means that the processor is installed incorrectly or is damaged. So I turned it off, unplugged it and reseated the processor. Turned it back on, same thing. Now on a 939 socket, there's really not too much you could do wrong here short of forcing it on and damaging some of the pins (which I didn't do) or getting that thermal grease stuff all over them (which I also didn't do). I did notice a few mistakes in the manual, so I figured maybe they got the jumper configuration wrong for resetting the CMOS settings. So I switched the jumper, turned it back on, nothing. So they must've had that right. So I switched the jumper back, turned it on and there it went! Started to try to boot! I went into BIOS, under boot devices all it listed was my hard drive (SATA) and some Realtek thing (I don't know what that's all about). So I set it to HDD first, that Realtek thing second and disabled third. After I was done in BIOS (by the way, I didn't mess with any overclocking stuff yet) I selected save changes but before I hit enter I tried to insert my XP disc and neither of my DVD/CD drives were working. So I hit enter (what other choice did I really have?) and then all my red LED's came back on that diagnostic thing and nothing happened. I shut it off, tried again about 4 or 5 times, still nothing. So I reset the CMOS jumper, switched it back and I could get into BIOS again.

So here's my questions to all you knowledgeable people:
    Why does it only do anything right after I reset the CMOS settings?
    Do I have a faulty chipset or something?
    Think my CMOS battery is shot (even though everything is brand new)?
    Am I supposed to load something before my OS?

Link to mobo specs: http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K8T_Neo2-F&class=mb
    Link to mobo manual: http://www.msi.com.tw/program/suppo...ecord.php?folder=3&kind=1&name=E6702Ev1.2.zip

Thanks a million for all your help in advance.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2005
  2. squizzle

squizzle Active member

Nevermind guys, I think I figured it out. I had something in BIOS all goofed up and that's why I was getting the CPU error. Thanks anyways.

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

teach & learn