1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just got dvd writer. Why can't everything just be like a toaster

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by seanydude, Apr 2, 2004.

1. seanydude

seanydude Guest

See a toaster...you put the bread in. press the button or whatever, and bang. it's dune and you have toast.

it seems with a dvd however i have to get various different software to do things and with vbo and iso and ifo and mpg and avis and aaaarrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhh

so here's the deal. i have nero 5.5 and i want to put 9 avi files around 120mb and 12 minuite length each onto a dvd which i can play.
    i also have lots of 20 and 30 mimuite mpgs and avi's which i will also do when i find out how.

so please can anyone help me and explain it simply?

thank you

2. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

hi seanydude
    Its not that hard to do once you have the right software and the right guides.
    You need to download dvd shrink and dvd decrypter first,guides and downloads available at the top,of this page.(both are free btw)
    Converting avi's to mpegs is probably the most hands on thing and most time consuming thing youll be doing.
    Try this guide...http://www.dvd-guides.com/guides.php?category=othertodvd&name=tmpegenc (this is where your free stuff stops)
    Youll need a mpeg encoder ie. TMPGEnc plus,mainconcepts etc.(not free but trial vesions available for both)You need to make dvd compliant files,preferably mpeg 2's
    once these are done you need some more, not freeware in a dvd authoring software,I use TMPGEnc dvd author (but other options available)to turn your mpegs into vob files.
    You burn your vob files with nero(which you already have)
    And presto changeo youve got it,some magic words, and depending on your choice of encoder and speed of your machine.Any where from about 2 hours to ??
    Try this guide for starters(all software needed is available on this guide)
    good luck and welcome to the hood
    jim
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]you should never take life too seriously....you'll never get out of it alive!!
    if you can read this..you dont need glasses.[/small]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2004
  3. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

when your ready to back up dvd's,this is when you'll be using mostly dvd shrink but once in awhile dvd decrypter when you find a disc that shrink wont do.
    try these very easy to follow guides(no reading just watching)guide for doing the whole disc...http://www.dvdshrink.info/fulldisk_basic.php
    guide for when your disc is bigger than 4.36gb:http://www.dvdshrink.info/reauthor_basic.php
    guide for using on that stubborn disc:http://www.dvdshrink.info/dvd-decrypter.php
    guide if you need to print it all out:http://www.chrismccann.co.uk/user_guides.htm
    there that will give you something to look at for awhile,let us know your progress.
    good luck and welcome to the club
    jim

4. drchips

drchips Active member

Hiya seanydude,
    Your analogy breaks down under examination:

A toaster is a single purpose device, designed to operate with a sub-set of the product group designated as "Bread".

It is designed to "Toast Bread".
    Try it with a French Stick Loaf!
    Try it with an uncut loaf!

Ok, so it only works with bread in a particular form (sliced or thin enough to be inserted).

Try to get it to butter the toast for you!

If you want the equivilant device for creating Video DVDs, I can custom build one for you - it will be unique and therefore expensive...

PCs and their Operating Systems, along with the programs that run on them are to be treated as general purpose and comprehensive toolboxes.

Tools require skill to use them effectively (all the sooper-dooper woodworking tools in the world are of no use to you UNLESS you have aquired basic skill with them - an expensive tool does not make a Master Carpenter).

Unfortunately, what you want does not really exist at the moment, you will just have to learn some basic skills (or spend a boatload of money for someone who does have the skills to create something for you).

The guides here are good starting points.
    Most of the recommended software is free or available on trial.

There are many threads assisting people who are just starting out, so spend some time reading them, and when you are ready to give it a try we are here to help.

You will get a lot of good advice here, the most important advice you will ever get is MEDIA QUALITY and compatability - without good media you are just wasting your time and are going to be frustrated.

It is not easy when you first start out (like so many other things in life) but you will get there.

Have Fun...

5. gyro1000

gyro1000 Member

The only problem with putting the info on the hard drive is that there is 10 DVD's of info. I don't think his hard drive is big enough to hold that much info. Sorry I didn't mention that earlier, is there a way to make mobile copies?? I will check to see what kind of DVD's they are.

6. gyro1000

gyro1000 Member

The only problem with putting the info on the hard drive is that there is 10 DVD's of info. I don't think his hard drive is big enough to hold that much info. Sorry I didn't mention that earlier, is there a way to make mobile copies?.......I just found out that one of his DVD's is 6.74 gb in size. OK, now what? are larger capacity DVD's available, or can we compress the originals onto a 4.7 gb DVD?? Thank you again for your help.

7. drchips

drchips Active member

Hiya gyro1000,
    Ooooops!!

Don't you just LOVE those smack-head moments when you reply to the WRONG THREAD ;)

I think you meant to reply to this thread:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/79164

Please go there.

Everyone else can carry on...

Byeeee...

8. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

lol i guess that wouldnt be considered a brain fart

9. drchips

drchips Active member

jim_dandy,

"brain fart" - a classic Geek term!!!!!

10. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

ok im a geek lol
    whats your point? lmao

11. drchips

drchips Active member

ACK!!

Then you will probably uderstand the following:
    TANSTAAFL
    Magic Smoke
    the X that can be Y is not the true X
    bogosity
    write-only memory
    a RED card with the word GREEN printed on it
    pessimal

A brother spirit among all the ID ten T's

12. seanydude

seanydude Guest

well it's nice to know thers people out there jus as crazy and skilled in there craft as me! and a the mo my craft looks like being thick.

i now have a new problem.

when i get about 11% into a file converting to mpeg2 it comes up with "scan line out of range (480)" now of course i fiddle with a few things, no idea what they do, and sometimes it decides to work but sumtimes it doesnt.

??????help???????

but to answer the toast. a toaster can also do crumpets. now i'm gonna turn into red dwarf's talkie toaster here but suppose the analagy became a grill rather than a toaster. any breaddy products can fit under the gril u turn it on and bang! we're toasting, however cool the buttering idea is there is the problem that u might not want butter every time. so hence the name toaster/grill. not tostabutter.

:)

13. drchips

drchips Active member

seanydude,
    Excellent!!

Anyone who remembers Red Dwarf like that is OK by me...

Cheers... ;)