1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just learning about HTPC, need ideas

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by g725s, Sep 4, 2011.

1. g725s

g725s Member

I would like to stream as high a quality video from a dedicated hard drive to my TV with a killer OS interface, maybe even one that could handle my FLAC audio files to my stereo system too, and even allow web browsing on the TV. Currently I've got TV and Movie files in Xvid that I've tried streaming to my Xbox. Well Media Center does not handle all to well. It is OK with sub 720p quality files, but when I try 720p quality files it stutters a handful of times and stop briefly a couple of time during a movie. I did install TVersity on the PC to stream to the Xbox and that seemed to help some with the 720p files, but I still get the occasional stuttering, and stopping briefly once or twice during a full length movie.

So what is the best way to stream your collection of Movie and TV files to your TV? Is it possible to stream Blu Ray quality image? What type of hardware do you need and what OS is best? Also there seems to be quite a few different file types that I'm needing to learn about, which are best?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  2. GzaPR

GzaPR Member

try XBMC you wont be disappointed.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  3. g725s

g725s Member

Yes, I found the forum over there much more active. And am planning on building a dedicated HTPC with XBMC and a server for all my media eventually. Thanks.