1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just learning

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by plasmannc, Feb 16, 2003.

1. plasmannc

plasmannc Member

Using smart ripper, DVDtoSVD and the CCE 2.5 encoder I just ran my first try at copying a DVD I own. Everything seems to have gone okay but I have a ferw issues and hope someone can offer some ideas.

The DVD I ripped was 1 hour and 51 minutes long and contained a movie, extras and some indicators to specific points in the movie (are these chapters?).

After completing the encoding phase I wound up with a lot of stuff in my target directory. In addition to two Bin/cue file sets I also had two bbgmpg files. Total encoding time was almost 12 hours. Since I used the CCE encoder why were the bbpmpg files created. (these were mpg files). Since this was my first use did I forget to enable or disable something.

The two bin/cue sets were some 840 megs. When I burnt them with Nero my PC refused to even look at them. Clearly they were unreadable. Using a virtual drive like Daemon I could load and play the bin/cue file.

Since the overall length of the DVD was 151 minutes should this not have been a 3 CD set?

When ripping a DVD do the menus, chapters etc come along? Can SVCD's in essence be true duplicates of the DVD?

I hope the above makes some sense to those of you experienced at doing DVD to SVCD copies.

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 16, 2003
  2. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

I use the same method, but probably not the birates. You were asking why bbmpeg files were created, mwell thats because besweet encodes the audio and cce sp doesn the video and bbmpeg multiplexes them. as for the bin and cues. i dont create images. i use nero to burn the mpg's because i had problems with the bin and cue files! it should have been 3 cds if you used this birate max 2450, min 300 and average 1600! that sllows one hour per 80min cd!

3. plasmannc

plasmannc Member

Dela, thanks for the quick reply. One last thing I hope you will reply to.

First the total length of the rip was 1 hour and 51 min not the 151 minutes I originaly posted. This should, I would think easily fit on two 80 minute cd's. The two bin files created for the SVCD are over 840 megs.

When I loaded the bin into a virtual drive the total length of the movie is 79+ min while another track is 9 min or well over the 80 minute capacity of the CD-R disk and ofcourse over the 700 MB the disk can hold. Should the final bin file be this big?

I have burnt numerous bin/cue files but have been unable to do these now on two tries. As noted in the original message Nero seems to burn fine but the resulting disks are unreadable.

Hope you can offer an idea

Thanks

4. Dela

I dont create images with dvd2svcd because i've had too many problems with the playback of them! You should turn off the images!

5. plasmannc

plasmannc Member

I found that if I load the image into a virtual CD drive like Daemon I have no problem doing a CD - CD copy with Nero. Try to burn the bin direct no good.

Go figure.

6. Dela

I prefer the .mpg file anyway, at least i can do all the messing around with a compilation that i want!

7. plasmannc

plasmannc Member

Meant to ask how do you turn off image generation in DVDtoSCVD?

8. Dela

Click cd-images and select dont make images!

9. hagler

hagler Member

Dela...hello..I'm also just learning---I posted a question to you on another thread, also I think....anyway.....I've done a lot of research in the forum, but just need some basics answered....I'd like to make avi to SVCD (I won't bother with VCD, as SVCD seems much better--correct?) I'll use DVD2SVCD and CCE for SVCD creation....
    Is CCE compatible with Windows '98?
    I've had problems with BeSweet hanging when trying to make avi to VCD---when it tries to initialize, it hangs and shuts down the program
    It goes through MadPlay without a problem, but when it tries to encode the audio with BeSweet, the window says initializing and then wants to shut down because of an illegal operation---any advice here?? I'm sure this will happen when I try to make a SVCD, also....
    Just to confirm...is this the best way to go--DVD2SVCD and CCE for creating SVCD?
    Is SVCD definitely better than VCD?
    My DVD player supports both....
    BTW, I have a 650 Mhz Athlon processor and 25 GB of Hard Disk free space and 128mb of RAM---is this sufficient for what I'm trying to do?
    Sorry if the questions are very general, but I'm just looking to get more info after reading through all of the other threads and articles---and you seem to give excellent advice!
    Thank you so much for the help...and sorry if the same question was asked in another thread..

10. Dela

DVD2SVCD - CCE SP is the best way to go in my opinion, especially for vbr svcd! I think CCE SP is comp-atible with 98. Im not sure whats going wrong with BeSweet though! One question, are you trying to encode a movie from a shared folder or anything?