1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just Successfully Softmodded Your Xbox? Great!.. Now read this before you do ANYTHING!

Discussion in 'Xbox - Software discussion' started by Mik3h, Oct 14, 2006.

1. pn2bade

pn2bade Member

hey, good job, but i followed every step up untill the iso part, i put it on a cd and (oh yeah, i don't want to put in a new hd, but just unlock my current one) i tried to do the 3rd option, but it said cannot find EEPROM. and what is on the cd is my C and E folders, an EEPROM folder, F, ISOLINUX, RR_MOVED and XBOX folder. also there is ABOUT_THIS_CD text file, a CHECK file, and a README text file. so if you could tell me how to get my pass, and how to put it in correctly so i can unlock my hd, that would be great. Thx in advance.

2. shaken

shaken Member

OK. I began FTPing all my stuff to my PC HDD, but when I copied my C drive over, I did not see all the things on my PC's hardrive that I saw on my Xbox's. But when I looked at my files by going to Start/MyDocuments everything was there that I saw on my Xbox. If I need to copy all this data to a new HDD, what happens if Flash FXp doesn't show everything necesarry to bring over like it just did?

I know this is kinda confusing.... sorry.

3. shaken

shaken Member

Also, I just put my C and E drives in the same folder... and does it matter if they are seperated from each other or not? Becuse I have no eartly idea which files go to which drive.

4. selfagg

selfagg Member

Hi people

What exaclty is the unlock master password if you used xboxhdm?

I have a hitachi deskstar HDS728080PLAT20 (80Gb) which I have locked and I cannot unlock it now! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

5. breala713

breala713 Member

Ok I have a question i heard that xbox can burn cds on x-dsl which you can only have a modded xbox for it. I heard it haves a option on one program that allows you to do so if i got a cd burner installed on it would it work?

6. Mik3h

Mik3h Regular member

Not sure, but I doubt it would work, you can try, or try the official DSL site, but I've never heard of it before.

-Mike

7. flynhwian

flynhwian Member

Sorry to revive an old thread but I'm having the same problem as Phoenix because my upgraded HD is getting the 5 and 6 error codes depending on whether I lock or unlock the HD thru xboxhdm.
    The HD's a West. Dig. JB2000 which seems to be a compatible drive, so after ample searching I'm stumped on what the problem could be, any insight would be greatly appreiciated.

8. Mik3h

Mik3h Regular member

Well, here are the error code meanings

5 - kernel - HDD not locked (retail bioses require the hd to be locked)

6 - kernel - Cannot unlock HDD

So it may be that it is not compatible, are you sure it has the correct EEPROM key etc.?

-Mike

9. flynhwian

flynhwian Member

Thanks for the reply Mike,

I'm pretty sure the drive is lock/unlock compatible from the list I found online, and I retrieved the eboot file from ConfigMagic launched as an app thru UnleashX off the orginal HD, so I'm hoping thats the correct eboot.
    I read somewhere that ConfigMagic might give you a wrong eboot? Is that correct? Can't find the post anymore...

The XBox gives error 5 if I don't lock thru xboxhdm and error 6 if I do lock it thru xboxhdm.

BTW, my Xbox is softmodded so I don't have a chip, just the original softmodded HD and the upgraded "mirror" drive.

10. slimmy

slimmy Member

Good tutorial, will probably be very usefull. Thanks :D

Last edited: Nov 12, 2007
  11. LufianGuy

LufianGuy Regular member

I watched three youtube vids and read this guide for replacing the xbox HDD. I also just watched this youtube video:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=_UWVyGS2AkE

My questions are:
    1. The video said that if you copy over an already softmodded xbox HDD (which mine is) to the new HDD, there will be problems and you will need to re-install the softmod to the new HDD. Is this true?

2. When replacing the original xbox HDD, I should remove it from the black plastic tray and put the new HDD in the black plastic tray right?

3. What should be the jumper settings of the new HDD when it is:
    3a. In the computer?
    3b. In the xbox?

4. Should I keep the backup of both my original and new xbox HDDs on my computer?

5. Is there any steps I need to take with my new blank 250GB Seagate HDD before I begin this process?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2007
  12. dcxbadass

dcxbadass Member

I know the guide says:
    Using this method you will not need to do anything to your original hardrive which means that if anything does go wrong you will still have an xbox :)

But then it says:

Steps:

1. On your xbox's evox dashboard go to system utils and select backup. Once this has complete, on your PC run the desired FTP program and access ur xbox. Go to E:\ and download a file called 'backup_linux' to your PC hardrive.

So can I not just setup my new HDD and swap it out with the original I really don't want to mod the original HDD. I have the splinter cell and equipment can I somehow use this to grab the eeprom without actually modding my xbox. And then just do it on a blank HDD?.

Cheers.

13. dcxbadass

dcxbadass Member

Sorry there isn't an edit button, but i found my answer.

14. nustud

nustud Guest

I think I may have reeeeally screwed up and I need some help. First of all, I did backup C and my eeprom. However, once I started using AID4 I followed their stupid manual and ended up installing a new dash with Evolution X and a single boot over my dual boot w/ MS dash. After that, the box has been going black after ejecting games until I reboot it. So I decided to format the retail HDD and start over, not knowing I needed to backup the harddrive to my computer. After unsuccessful attempts to recover the backups, I'm left with a completely formatted drive and no idea what to do. Can anybody help me? I'm not even entirely sure what I've done. Games still play, but AID really confused me and I messed up.

15. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Use my "XboxHDM HDD rebuild via Hotswap" tutorial!

16. nustud

nustud Guest

Do you think it's really that bad? I can still get auto installer deluxe to run, but I'm not sure if it has the right stuff to bring it around. I'm still not getting any error code on the screen. (Plus, I don't have a PC or the means to Hotswap it)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2007
  17. mario612

mario612 Member

I would use XboxHDM that mik3h used and rebuild you hard drive. Just put e drive, c drive, and your EEPROM on the disc, and rebuild it. If its currently locked, use option three on the disk to unlock it, then let HDM work its magic.

18. DavGerm4

DavGerm4 Active member

Ok, so I've followed everything for adding a new HDD to the system... I've made the backup of C: and E: and made the iso with xboxhdm. Now, I've gone through everything, and it all went smoothly with no errors at all. I've also locked the HDD, but when I put it in my softmodded xbox, I press the power, and it immediately starts flashing the LED on the front Red/Green. Then it comes to the screen with 'Error 06'! I put my original HDD back in, and it's all normal? Any suggestions, on how to get it working?

I know the HDD is compatible because it used to be used in a Hard Modded Xbox!

19. DavGerm4

DavGerm4 Active member

Nevermind, I got it working! I think the problem was, I got the wrong file for the eeprom.bin so it didn't work correctly!

When I used ConfigMagic, it had an eeprom.bin in the ConfigMagic Folder, but in my E: it also had EEPROMBackup.bin. So I used the EEPROMBackup.bin this time, and it's all up and running!

20. tommyd13

tommyd13 Regular member

All set to begin, but I don't have EvoX, I have UnleashX. How do I go about step 1?!
    I thought I read before that if I installed UnleashX or EvoX, it automatically made you backup the eeprom, so I imagine this file is somewhere. Please direct me to what I am looking for. Thanks!