1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JVC DR-M10 WON"T TURN ON

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by BONAFIDE4, Nov 4, 2004.

1. BONAFIDE4

BONAFIDE4 Member

I would like to ask for help. My JVC DVD recorder model DR-M10 will not turn on. I have unplugged and replugged but it just says "loading" and shows the time. I’ve tried holding the on button on the unit and on the remote. Is this a simple problem that I will be able to solve myself.

I tried contacting JVC by telephone but I am unable to talk to any one to send it in for service.
    Has anyone had any experience with JVC service ?

I’d appreciate any help.

2. rgwd

rgwd Member

Hurrah I've found someone with the same problem. I unplugged mine while I was at work, it seamed to work fine for 2 minutes then I had green lines accross the screen and just like you I kept getting the loading message. I hope you find an answer as I'm at my wits end on this!!!

3. mpf

mpf Guest

I had the same problem two month ago. I talked to the JVC-support in germany, they say the only possibility is to repair it. The next i send the recorder to JVC (JVC pays the tax for the postpaket), three days later i become it back and its stil running.

4. slprydk

slprydk Member

The same thing happened to mine, I sent it to the service center in Woburn, MA and they did some kind of upgrade, hasen't happened again.

5. Turtle59

Turtle59 Member

I too have a DR-M10 , in UK, have had it since June 04 and now it has stopped working. Can't get discs in or out. Constantly get flashing "Loading". Retailer Currys here is rubbish with their approach, so Christams approaches with now recorder. Great! Anybody have any quick solution?

6. Andrn

Andrn Member

Mine has just done the same after 3 months new. It's going back to the shop on Monday!

7. liron

liron Member

1.louding
    2.green lines accross the screen
    those 2 problems have a good final solution.
    to solve those problems you need to sent it to the jvc service center
    require some modify on digi board.
    i work in jvc servic
    hope if i help to anyone.

8. Andrn

Andrn Member

My shop was aware of the problem and say that JVC replace a chip to resolve them. The units that are now arriving in stores contain the updated chip and I get an exchange for new on Thursday. The old one goes back to JVC/wholesaler.

Lucky me - one of the few good reasons to purchase expensive items from a local retailer. Wouldn't like to foot the bill for sending it away!

9. VK11

VK11 Member

My DR-M10 shows the same symptoms as described by liron above. The "loading" phenomenon happens so often that it makes the recorder useless. My problem is that I lost the receipt so JVC wouldn't repair my recorder for free.

That's why I'd like to repair it myself. It looks like a problem with the power supply to me...

Can anyone please help, if you know what needs to be changed inside?

10. fungler

fungler Member

Mine does the same, just shows 'LOADING' so looks like I'm gonna have to get mine sent back to retailer.....again, this is my second one.

Have real problems with the programming and VideoPlus aswell, thing never turns on when it should and when I check the programs it's all there so why isn't it working?

Whished I'd gone for Sky+ option now!

11. slprydk

slprydk Member

If the decks at the retailer have not been updated by the factory returning it to them wont do you any good.

12. MiG45

MiG45 Member

I have JVC DR-M10 SER and got only problem with horizontal green lines - happens time after time. But gone if completly switch power cable. Turning on later (about 10 mins) for a few days work, then appera again!

Please, anybody tell me about the reason and how to fix. It doesnt` seem to be hard to fix ?

13. anncoates

anncoates Member

This is known bug which JVC is now fixing for free whether you are still under warranty or not. Read more here:

http://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=255081

From the FAQ at the JVC website:

My DVD recorder has experienced green or white noise in the picture display followed by the word “Loading” flashing continuously on the unit’s FDP. Unplugging the unit clears the "Loading" indication and restores normal operation. How can I prevent these symptoms from re-occurring?

Models: DR-MV1S, DR-M10S, DR-MH30S, DRMX1S, SR-MV30U

A limited number of units of certain models of DVD recorders (Models-DR-MV1S, DR-M10S, DR-MH30S, DRMX1S, SR-MV30U) have experienced the symptoms described. While manually resetting the unit, as set forth in the question, restores normal operation, the symptoms may reappear. JVC has identified the cause of these symptoms and will make the necessary adjustments to affected units to eliminate the likelihood that the symptoms reappear. Adjustments will be made free of charge at JVC Factory Service Centers. Click the Factory Service Center link at top left of this page to obtain your nearest location. Please call 1-800-252-5722 and select option 4-3 if you have any questions regarding this process.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2005
  14. fungler

fungler Member

Well, got mine back yesterday from the JVC service center (via the retailer), apparantly had new resistors fitted and firmware upgrade. Don't suppose I'll be able to tell anyway so will just have to take their word for it. Will see if anything untoward happens in the coming months and be assured I will put a post on if it does.

15. MiG45

MiG45 Member

Anybody here could help me a bit to find problem in mine DR-M10`s power supply unit ?

16. fungler

fungler Member

How old is your unit? If it's a power issue I think you will have problems finding anyone on here who can help, most likely that you'll have to return it either under warranty or pay for a fix.

I've had no further problems with mine since it was returned having been upgraded, works like a dream now. My only wish is that I had gone for the more expensive model with a 160Gb hard drive in it.

17. MiG45

MiG45 Member

I gave a chance to service center, but after a month they return it to me and says no problems found ( My problem is that after a few days of working green lines start appers on screen. Day by day they shows more and more often. IfI completly switch off power (umpluging from AC power) at least for a few minuts , it helps and for a few days it works fine again. Another way is to switch on power save mode - it also works equal as unpluging from AC power and this solve the problem. But I miss the clock in this case and it tooks more time to prepare unit before work (you know). So I guess there is some sort of capasitor in power supply unit that working in DC filter and after being completly charged start leaking and missing pulses so digiboard start showing those nasty green lines. When unit is unpluged, capasitor become uncharged and next time will work untill again been charged. In power save mode it been also cut off power and discharging. Its only a guess, but seems to me most reasonable.

P.S. My unit was 3 months old when its all starts. (October 2004 manufactore date)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2005
  18. fungler

fungler Member

In that case I should write a letter to the Head of Engineering explaining the situation as you have here. Tell them how disappointed you are and that you know that you aren't or haven't been the only one with this problem over the past 12 months. Tell them a bit of exposure about how they are treating you won't go down very well in the papers or something like that, don't threaten them just politely drop the word 'Watchdog' into the letter. See if that helps. If you have already been down that route then I'm out of suggestions, I'm not an electronics bod, I understand what you are saying but wouldn't know how to resolve the issue, good luck.

19. MiG45

MiG45 Member

I`ve got a service manual for this unit and since I have electronic skills and think I can repair it by myself , but need somebody to advice. Thanks anyway!

20. slprydk

slprydk Member

Don't try to repair it yourself if you don't have the skills, you will end up with an expensive book end... Don't bring it to an authorized service center. Send it to the factory, if you live in the US send it to JVC Service, 110 Cummings Park, Woburn, MA 01801. They did a good job with mine and they turned it around quick (less than a week)