1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JVC HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by Dragon87, Jan 17, 2004.

1. Dragon87

Dragon87 Member

I got a JVC GR-DVL520U and i need help i need to know how to put a cassette on to a computer if i cant. and i need a new memory card can you help me by what kind of memory card to use. or if i need a cord i will need help for that to, i need to know how i can put my videos on the computer. thanks

2. chrisw25

chrisw25 Member

What system are you running on your computer?
    If you are using WindowsXP it's pretty easy, just get a FireWire Cable from any computer store ( also called IEEE1394 or i-link ) they cost about £5 - £13 and connect the camcorder to your computer. WinXP will use MovieMaker (free) to download the video for you but you can also buy more software for the job if you wanna do more than just download your movies.
    If you got pictures or video on your memory card use the supplied USB cable to transfer them to your Harddrive.
    Hope this helps.

3. Dragon87

Dragon87 Member

Do you have the same camcorder, I have? I am just checking.

4. Dragon87

Dragon87 Member

If you do. Does the firewire download the video from the memory card or somthing else?

5. chrisw25

chrisw25 Member

I've got the JVC GR-DVL367 but they are pretty much the same.
    The USB connection will transfer the images and videos from your memory card to your computer.
    The FireWire connection will do the same but much faster plus it will transfer whatever you got on the tape.
    When you switch the camcorder to PLAY you need to choose [Video] for transfer of your tape recording or [Memory] for the recordings on your memory card.

6. Dragon87

Dragon87 Member

Ohhh. Thanks alot I appreciate it.

7. chrisw25

chrisw25 Member

You're welcome. Hope it helps.

To confuse you even more------ if you have a memory card reader in your computer you can transfer the content from the memory card by taking the card out of the camcorder and plugging it into the card reader but thats very fiddly as the cards are pretty small.

If you ever need to buy another memory card look out for a SD-Memory Card.

You best option is FireWire Cable -- they come in 6pin and 4pin connections -------the camcorder uses 4pin and computers use 6pin (4pin for Laptops) so you probably need to buy a 4pin-6pin cable.
    You can also use the FireWire to transfer your edited movies back from the computer to the camera to transfer those using the AV (or S-Video) connection to a video recorder or display on the TV.