1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

K700i

Discussion in 'Sony phones' started by kshep92, May 14, 2005.

1. kshep92

kshep92 Regular member

Anybody have a K700i out there? I'm thinking about buying one. It seems to have all the features that I want, but I want to know if it stands up to the rest in its execution.

2. PeterEdin

PeterEdin Regular member

I have a K700i and I have had no problem with it. I understand the early models had a few problems though. I luv it and plan on keeping it a while.

However, there are some things to note though:

The camera isn't the best, and the video is chunky but the video length is only limited by the amount of available memory. The phone comes with about 40 MB.

I had trouble connecting the phone to my PC(Win XPSP2) using the optional cable. I have since bought an IRed USB dongle and I can now connect the phone to the PC with no problem.

Worth noting but NOT specific to the K700 is that any phone purchased for the Vodafone network will not allow you to use MP3s as ringtones. Chose another network or get an off the shelf phone.

3. kshep92

kshep92 Regular member

So please tell me more about the video, do you have any examples of video you shot? I plan on recording some of the stuff that goes on at my school at lunch time and I want to know if the video will be clear enough for other people to recognise whats going on.

Also, can you add programs like Windows Media Player or RealOne to the phone?

4. PeterEdin

PeterEdin Regular member

You can't add RealPlayer or Windows Media Player to the K700 as far as I know. It does have a built in media player but I think thats it.

There may be a java based media player out there, but I'm not sure.

I'll upload an example of a movie clip later on today to a web site and I'll give you the url then you can judge the quality for yourself.

I personally don't mind about the quality of the movies/pics as I
    plan to get a digital camera with movie function some day soon :)

5. tzevoon

tzevoon Member

the built-in video player supports 3gp and mp4 format. so it's good. u can also download a software that can convert to 3gp format. i can't quite remember the name but do a google-search for it.
    i even converted the whole of Ice Age movie to 3gp but it's a 60-plus MB file so it can't fit into my phone.
    K700i is a good phone. my only complain is
    1) u can't stream mp3 music to a bluetooth headset
    2) the 'Quickshare' sticker at the bottom of the keypad comes off easily.
    Why not consider K750? it has evreything K700 has but better,incl the camera and support memory stick.

Last edited: May 20, 2005
  6. PeterEdin

PeterEdin Regular member

Just been on the SE website. The K750 looks brill. I'm assuming the K750 can also play MP3 misuc files like the K700 and display animated gifs.

I'll see how much an "off the shelf" phone costs. Even though I am with Vodafone, I don't want a Vodafone chipped one as Vodafone don't allow you to use MP3 files as ringtones (unless you download them from them).

7. tzevoon

tzevoon Member

yeah it can play mp3. but i'm not sure if it can stream mp3 to a bluetooth headset or not. If it can, it'll be good.

8. kshep92

kshep92 Regular member

I like the K750 alot but it's a little too pricy. The price on welectronics.com don't seem to be out of my price range. I'm only 16 ppl, I can't afford a 2400TT phone. The K700 seems to be good enough for me.

9. tzevoon

tzevoon Member

ok...then k700i is a good choice.

10. PeterEdin

PeterEdin Regular member

11. kshep92

kshep92 Regular member

why are the guys on this forums so freaking helpful??? Thanks a lot PeterEdin, i'm definitely buying this phone now!

12. PeterEdin

PeterEdin Regular member

Glad to be of help. If you want I can upload the animated gifs (screensavers), wallpapers and Themes that I have for the K700. They all originated from the internet in anycase except for one theme that I created as a test.

13. kshep92

kshep92 Regular member

That would be cool, thanks. But one more thing:

1. does it really have 32 - 41MB of free memory?
    2. Does buying an unlocked phone have less memory than a phone you may buy from one of the American conmpanies?
    3. Did yours come with the latest firmware available at the time?

Please forgive my constant stream of questions but I really need to know as much as I can before I buy this phone. It's $1764 we're talking about here.

14. PeterEdin

PeterEdin Regular member

According to the Sony Ericsson U.S web site, the specs look the same. The K700 has 41MB of memory so whether its bought in the UK or in the USA prob makes no difference to specs. I have loads of stuff on mine, wallpapers, MP3s etc and I still have about 18 MB left.

As far as I can tell, an unlocked/SIM free phone means it can be used with any network, and doesn't have any specific operator stuff in it. I got mine through a network (Vodafone in the UK) and therefore the phone cost me £30 (approx $70)but I am now tied to that Network for 12 months, but to buy it off the shelf costs a lot lot more.

I don't know anything about the firmware, but I daresay it has been upgraded since the phone first came out.

I'll upload my images etc soon. The images are jpg reduced to 176 X 176 pixels. The screensavers are animated gifs.

:)

15. PeterEdin

PeterEdin Regular member

Forgot to say, I clicked on "buy" on the Sony Ericsson web site and it came up with a price of $349 (349 dollars) I assume its US dollars and living in the UK, I don't know about taxes etc.

16. kshep92

kshep92 Regular member

And your site is...

17. PeterEdin

PeterEdin Regular member

18. PeterEdin

PeterEdin Regular member

I have now uploaded the files

19. kshep92

kshep92 Regular member