1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Karaoke

Discussion in 'User submitted guides' started by nownthen, Apr 11, 2005.

1. nownthen

nownthen Regular member

I've noticed that there are a lot of people with questions about karaoke cd's and how to make dvd's and vcd's out of karaoke files. This guide will cover how to rip cd+g and how to convert it to Vcd or Dvd.

You will need:
    Audiograbber
    TMPGEnc
    Windows Media Player
    Karaoke Plugin for Window Media Player

It is very simple to rip the music and text from a cd+g.
    Open Audiograbber
    Leave a check mark next to the songs you want.
    Select Settings
    General Settings
    Select the directory to store your files in. Its at the top. You can change it to your desired location or just make note of where the files will be going.
    You may want to name the songs before you rip them. (From the cd they will just be numbers)
    To do this right click on the song and select rename. Then type in the new name. The click away.
    After that is done. Click on CD.
    Click Grab CDG tracks (karaoke).
    Click Grab to .cdg + .wav
    A screen will popup and tell you the status of your rip.

You may want to at this point check that the .cdg + .wav files work properly. You must play the file in Windows Media Player. To do that you have to install the karaoke plugin first. When you go to play the .cdg file Windows Media Player may say the extension is not recognized. Just tell it to play anyway.

The next step is to convert the .cdg file into a mpg.
    Make sure the karaoke plugin is installed and working.
    Now open TMPGEnc.
    If your in the Wizard just hit cancel.
    Click on Options
    Click Environment Settings.
    Enable Multiplex ...
    Select the table along the top that says VFAPI Plugin.
    DirectShow Multimedia File Reader needs to be at the top of the list.
    To move it right click on it and select higher priority. Repeat until DirectShow is at the top.
    Now click on File
    Select Project Wizard.
    Now select either the Dvd or Vcd templete. In either NTSC or Pal.
    Now select your .cdg file as your video. To do this the file type will have to be changed to all files. Your audio will be selected automatically. Press next. Then press ok. The conversion for each song should take about 3 or less per song. That also depends on your processing power and version of TMPGEnc.
    Now it is in a format that you can easily burn to a dvd or Vcd that is playable in your dvd player.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2006
  2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Very nice. I've bookmarked it for future reference :)

3. phildo603

phildo603 Guest

Hi Nownthen,

I have tried your instructions on how to convert the CDG to MPEG but I got a problem when I tried to play the .cdg+ .wav file in Windows media Player even though I have installed Karaoke plugin for windows media player from sourceforge.

Am I missing something or that the karaoke plug-in downloaded is the wrong version. I have tried de-installed and re-installed.

I would appreciate if u can offer some advice.

Thanks, regards
    Phil

4. nownthen

nownthen Regular member

Tonight after reveiwing your question I encountered a strange this. I ripped a song from a cd and tried to play it in the media player. First this that happen is that WMP said that the format is unsupported so you say play is any ways and it plays.
    For some reason I got another error message saying WMP couldn't play the file. The funny thing is just after the error message popup up the video and song started to play.

You could try to convert the file anyway. The encoder will tell you after a few seconds if it won't do it. There is a preveiwer so you just look after a few hundred frames to see if the graphic part of the file is encoding.

I assume you ripped the song from the cd first. Even if you have the plugin you can't play them from a cd unless your drive supports it.

Any version should work but the newest is probably the best choice.

If you are still having troubles I'll need to know a little more about what you've done so far to give you any help.

5. phildo603

phildo603 Guest

Hi Nownthen,

Thanks a lot for your quick response. Fyi I am using Plextor 716A DVD writer.

I have managed to ripped a CDG disc and convert to Mpeg1 and burned to VCD. The only problem I have is that after ripping with Audiograbber, and when I tried to play the .cdg/wav file in Windows Media . there is no picture and no sound even though status shows 'Playing'.
    So next I convert the file to MPEG 1 using TMGEnc and managed to play the converted MPEG file in Windows Media.
    Burned the MPEG1 file to CDR using Nero and confirmed the VCD burned successfully. Played in my DVD player and all 15 tracks work perfectly.

What I did after the first attempt failed was I downloaded the new version of DirectX from Microsoft and Karaoke ver. 1.1 from Sorceforge website. The first time I downloaded Karaoke ver 2.3.
    With this version when playing the ripped file in Windows Media, the status bar shows 'Stopped' all the time. That means it can't played the file.

Next I would like to try converting to MPEG2 to burn to DVDformat .

Thanks, regards
    Phil

6. newburn3

newburn3 Member

Hi,

I would like to know how to make the Karaoke files.

Thanks

7. nownthen

nownthen Regular member

I really don't know how but I do know that there are a lot of programs out there that create some type of Karaoke. You'll just have to check some out.

Make a guide if you find a good program or way to do it.

8. cod0022

cod0022 Member

i tried copying a cd+g disk as stated in the forum with a cd-r burner.WMP says that my device cannot burn it is there another way to do it or do I need some kind of DVD burner..

9. nownthen

nownthen Regular member

You can't use WMP (Windows Media Player) to burn the files created with the process above.

You'll need a program that will burn video cds (Vcd's).

10. cod0022

cod0022 Member

I guess that what im trying to say is thatI hope to be able to copy a GD-G so that it is playable in a karaoke machine is that possible when i tried it all i got from the karaoke machine was alot of screeching noise...

11. nownthen

nownthen Regular member

I'm sure there is away. I don't know how. This tutorial is directed on how to make vcds from a cd+g.

Sorry.

12. cod0022

cod0022 Member

I have the alcohol 120% software and was just wondering if it were possible to backup single tracks of CD+G with it or can only full cd's be backed up??? any help please??

13. lol23

lol23 Member

hi i have followed your advice and have managed to extract the .bin file and play that fine in wmp i am then left with a .bin .cdg and .mp3 file. i then used tempgenc to convert however when it converts to .mpg there is no audio it is not selecting anything automatic and putting it in the audio boc on tempgenc either? any ideas?
    thanx in advance

14. nownthen

nownthen Regular member

First of all you shouldn't have a mp3 file you should have a wav file.

If the program for some reason doesn't select the sound file for you automatically you can always do it yourself.

Make sure you selected the .cdg file and not the bin file.