1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Karma system

Discussion in 'AfterDawn feedback & suggestions' started by Darkhadou, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Darkhadou

Darkhadou Regular member

I would like to suggest a Karma system for Ad. The way it works is, There would be a little bar underneath your username. As the mods and admins read your posts, they have the option to rate you bad or good, depending on the post they read wether they like it or not. Now the bar would build up green if the majority of your ratings are good or red of they are bad. It sounds confusing but I could explain it a little further if I get some good feedback on this. :) This system is good cos' this way there's no bickering going on about status' and it's an easy fool proof way of finding the useful from the not so useful. No offense to anyone that's still learning of course.

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

I wont publish any details, but something like this might be coming up...

3. davidw001

davidw001 Regular member

Good idea! Are there forums where this is implemented? Wish you could get it in real life, maybe a moody-meter for the GF and sisters! Dumba$$ meter for bosses and politicians, etc!

4. Darkhadou

Darkhadou Regular member

I've seen it on 2 forums, one forum has a simple good/ bad system (good to save bandwidth) and another has a similiar meter to what i thought of, so I thought of mixing the 2 together :) Also great that the admin had his say in it :p

Last edited: Sep 8, 2005
  5. p4_tt

p4_tt Active member

@Darkhadou

When i first read this thread i was a little wary of the idea but after joining another forum (a sport forum) i noticed they had a Karma system and i found it too be pretty handy and i now think this is a cracking idea and i can't wait to see what dRD comes up with.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2005
  6. Darkhadou

Darkhadou Regular member

If there is gonna be a bar system then a 20 bar one would be decent where it looks kinda like a installation bar, not intended to look the same but to put an image in your minds. And if you highlight someones bar, depending on how many bars they got. They would have a quote for it lke "so and so is and average Ad'er" Something like that, i might be going over the top. But this was probably the whole idea.

Thanx for the feedback p4_tt

7. dRD

The "karma" or "rating" will most likely be message-based, i.e. each message can be given a rating by other users, but higher each users' average message rating is, the more weight his/her vote to the message will give, when counting for the message's rating. And obviously, another weighting factor will be the user rank, although probably the ranks from Jr. Member to Addict will carry the same weight, as the whole idea is to reduce the meaning of number of posts. Dunno yet, still haven't written a single line of code for it, as we have two major projects going on now and they'll take probably 2 - 6 months to finish.

8. Doggy_Bot

Doggy_Bot Guest

It sounds pretty cool! The only thing i would do is only let members to addicts (and ofcourse the admins and mods) to vote, the n00bs and jr.members are to...childish and maybe if they dont for some reason like the person they just put 0 even if the post had valuable information. see what I mean?

9. Darkhadou

Darkhadou Regular member

Hm... but you if you read that rap thread by killerc you would see that some members are childish too, so that's why I said only mods and admins. That way I guess nothing can go wrong.

10. dRD

As said, the ranking's (==newb, member, etc) importance in weighting will be low, but instead, the rating (or "karma" wahetever you wish to call it) has higher weight.

So, lets assume a user X's posts have received an average vote of 4.5 out of scale from 0 to 5. And user Y's msgs have received an average vote of 2.0. Now, if they vote for msg Z, the weighting of their votes to that msg is based on their own posts' average ratings. Thus, people posting better posts have more say when deciding whose posts are good.

11. Darkhadou

Darkhadou Regular member

Agreed, much better idea. Can't wait for this :p

12. nrautava

nrautava Guest

That sound real great!

wish to see it in action..

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2005
  13. DVDBack23

DVDBack23 Administrator Staff Member

Is this somewhat an example of what you are thinking of? (all other menntion of the other forum are removed)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2005
  14. dRD

DVDBack23: Yes, but it would go beyond that. Very rarely the karma has this second tier voting power, thus the idea is that people with higher karma would have more say when voting for karma to others. Additionally, the voting would be done per post, but would affect the whole user's karma. And the idea was also to make it so that you could simply change your viewing settings so that posts by people with low karma would get ignored in your screen if you wish to do so. Also, again, the fact that voting is based on posts, not individuals, it would also allow nifty uses of it, like ordering the search results by "best posts", building an average "karma level" for threads based on posts in it, etc etc.

15. DVDBack23

dRD, thanks for the explanation, sounds excellent. Cant wait to see it in action!

16. Rikoshay

Rikoshay Regular member

That is a pretty good idea. It would seem very useful to be able to search by Karma in terms of a good thread. This would be very helpful to the newest members of the site. Hope you guys are able to implement that.

17. kyle_101

kyle_101 Guest

@Doggy_Bot

Just becuase a new member to the forums has a newbie status dont presume that their thoughts and opinions would be childish.....

18. Doggy_Bot

Doggy_Bot Guest

But what about the ones of childish kind? I just think that they must earn the right to be in the karma system...n00bs will be n00bs, nothing more...

19. DVDBack23

doggy_bot,

i completely agree...but what about those that became senior members whilst not helping anyone...(killerc, etc) they have the titles but havent earned anything.

20. kyle_101

kyle_101 Guest

@Doggy_Bot

I know members of this forum that are either a senior member or an Addict that are a lot more childish than some of our newer members.....

Just becuase their status is newbie dont presume that they are young or dont know anything about dvd's or the subject about which they are speaking....

For eg: Say a 35 year old person that is a film editor for a company joins our forums, they are given a newbie status...but they may have valuable information and opinions...if they were excluded from the karma system then that valuble information would not be allowed to count in the karma system which would be a loss to the AD forums....

See?