1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Karma system

Discussion in 'AfterDawn feedback & suggestions' started by Darkhadou, Sep 7, 2005.

1. gurnard

gurnard Regular member

hi every one :)
    if your answers are yep..ok ..i agree. etc, you can become an addict in a few weeks, so the ranking as it stands are not really indicative of the quality of the answers given.
    there are the exceptions where a few (like creaky ,alkohol,kivory666,Mort81,saugmon, arniebear )deserve there status. or possibly a special one.
    so therefore i would suggest that rankings should be given in line with the quality of the answers over a period of time. better 20 quality answers in a month than 200 yep..ok.. i agree..in the same period of time.
    the only ppl who could give these positions would be admin (who are over worked already) the BOSS (who is seriously over worked ) the mods (who do a great job already and are in a better position than most to judge) and the deserveing few with the "special" status.

2. jin666

jin666 Regular member

It seems like a good idea!

Jin666

3. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

Good - The coasters will have to fix up or face scrutiny!

But, in all truth, people around here know who helps and who doesn't... i'm here because I like to help not because I am a senior member. In fact, I would start over as a newB with a similar nick, but do not want to be seen to be catting geestar's idea! ;)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2005
  4. gurnard

gurnard Regular member

Lethal hi :)
    yes of course we know the ppl that help the most, and of course the nonces as well
    i like you am a senior. i like the title, not because of status but because it matches my age. at the rate i am going it should take about 5yrs to become an addict.
    i joined AD to ask a question and ended up learning every thing i know about pc's and the ability to do all the things i now do with blank media, and like you, take great pleasure in trying to pass on that information. one thing about this great site is that no matter how good you are, you can learn some thing new every day in your field of interest.

5. Lethal_B

Gurnard, I think you got it in one! ;)

6. MaxBurn

MaxBurn Regular member

About the only thing a newbie status can do is let you have an idea of [bold]how many posts they have done here[/bold] and thats it. Not the quality of posts, just the numbers of posts. The only way it has even been slightly useful to me, is when someone with a newbie status starts attacking ppl in a thread, or some other stupid stuff best left to other sites. It can still come from a member or above, but usually by the time you get to member or above status, you have by then demonstrated you can act in a civilized and mature manner in public. I would trust the comments/follow the advice given from: Creaky, Alkohol, Kivory666, Arnibear, ScubaPete, Bbmayo, FastFrank, and all the other good posters, no matter what title is thrown under their name. There are really too many good members to list them all. Newbies that cant play well with others, or have inflated egos, or maturity issues going on, usually have their status changed to inactive when they get banned. It really pulls down a thread when attacks go on also. The good info gets lost in the Web Drama going on. Name recognition seems to work best for me. I can see how these ppl respond to others, and the quality of their fixes. In my mind they change from "unknown" to "known" status. The good ones i remember, the bad ones, i forget. Just my 2 cents. I will be here helping ppl as long as they let me stay. My karma reward system is a reply like "thanks for the help, now i am burning again". Problem fixed, and everyone is happy. :)

7. Lethal_B

That is a good point. Theres a newbie in the iPod section where I hang out the most. His first post was a great guide, and he has been nothing but helpful since he has joined! (well done [bold]dkmopq[/bold])

I agree with your theory on a reward system, I don't feel we need an official reward scheme....we know who the best and most helpful members are, because they get named over & over again.

For someone to say `thanks`, or `yes, it's fnally working` is a much better feeling than getting recognised in my book, that's what the forum is all about, right?

8. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

I think gurnard nailed it

When I first started posting at AD it didn't take long to realize who was really helping, and when I had questions who to look for. Arniebear, car.mike, saugmon, maxburn, kivory, gurnard and too many more to name. And after a while I didn't pay any attention to whether they were a noob, member, senior, etc. All I knew was the quality of the posts and the advice given could be proven accurate, and if something wasn't working out, then the above mentioned would follow through until the problem is solved.

By the end of this month I should be a senior, did I earn it? Do I deserve it? Probably not as much as others. The important thing is helping out those who need help. I have learned so much at AD from reading others problems, participating in helping others, and being corrected on my advice from someone who really knows what they are talking about.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2005
  9. Lethal_B

*solved* :)

10. LOCOENG

@Lethal_B

Edited

I guess that was pretty childish as well. I just took offense because I still feel like a noob myself sometimes.

11. Lethal_B

Okie doke. I'll edit the quote out aswell, no harm done ;)

Lethal

12. freshguy

freshguy Member

you know, it seems like some folks are fixating on this status thing so much that it's probably not good for your blood pressure, or your overall health in general. The folks who are the most helpful to others, (some have already been mentioned in this thread), do so because they genuinely like helping people. They aren't helping folks just to prove how smart or important they are. Personally, I don't care if I never reach a status any higher than my current one. This is not the rating that I use to judge my self worth. Maybe some folks should think twice about looking down their noses at the people who just happen to have newbie status. After all, if they weren't here submitting themselves to criticism and ridicule, how else would some of the more tenured members feel important? I'm sure that this post will lose me about 10 zillion points on the karma scale but so be it. That's just the way I feel.

13. MaxBurn

MaxBurn Regular member

Very good points there freshguy. The main reason you should be in here posting is to help other ppl. What i really like to see is what just happened above. It looks like locoeng and lethal_b had a difference of opinion, and went back and edited their remarks. That is the way these things should be handled. I never even saw what caused the problem, and i don't need to. They took care of it, and in the process, cleaned up the thread. If we could all act like those two just did, when we run in to issues, there wouldn't be any problems with flame wars or personal attacks here. We must reward good behavior, and i give locoeng and lethal_b a virtual round of applause. :)

14. gurnard

gurnard Regular member

damn! i miss all the juicy bits. LOL

15. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

you ain't the only 1, gurnard!!

16. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

server screw-up!!!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2005
  17. LOCOENG

LOL

*bowing*

Just a little mudslinging. No harm, no foul.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2005
  18. freshguy

freshguy Member

I just want to say something that I wish I had said a little earlier. I don't think that I am anything special and certainly have no right to judge others. I have made my share of posts that I wish that I had never made and felt like a total fool. I suppose that I possibly could have been a little sensitive to the newbie thing because it wasn't long ago that I was one and I still, to be honest, feel like I am. When I first joined, it seemed that on a couple of threads that some folks were very nit-picky with my posts and were calling me out, publically, only because I was a newbie. Of course, this may not have been the case because I surely can't read anyone's mind. It did, however, teach me that anything I put out there I had better be able to back up with facts.
    I do realize that the people who generally cause the most trouble are at newbie status. The thing is, when you look at the whole picture, like anything else it's only a small percentage of the overall group of newbies.
    I mainly just wanted to say that I'm really not a self-righteous jerk, and to try and explain why it is that I may have sounded like one. LOL At least no one can accuse me of making short little posts just to increase my post count. :)

19. ireland

ireland Active member

The key to this is when a newbie signs up a screen with the rules should be presented to him with all the rules,with a box for each rule
    that must be checked off for each rule b4 he can become a member.
    as if all are not all checked off the registration process will not continue

that in a way might be a way for a newbie who might read the rules of the site.

my 17 cents

20. MaxBurn

MaxBurn Regular member

We were all newbies at one time, and we have to remember that. If you are a newbie, and just read posts all the time, but never say anything, you will remain a newbie for a very long time, since status is based upon post count here. We also have to remember that we are not just posting to one or two ppl, but potentially the whole world if they have net access, and are reading that thread. Emotions, and hidden meaning, seem to be able to be transmitted thru words. I have found it is best to phrase something like "that brand of media is not good" rather than "you just bought the worse crap media in the world, congratulations nOOb". One blames the media itself, and the other blames the media AND the poster for buying it. I for one, would not feel too welcome with a posted reply like the second example. I also find myself getting too involved in trying to persuade someone to switch to good media sometimes, and wind up getting in to a flame war because i offended someone by suggesting their brand of media was junk and was the cause of the problem. Now i just recommend, and if someone still has problems with media, but doesn't want to change, i stop helping them, and let them know why. We can't help ppl who will not accept help, or help themselves.

This karma system proposed, would be of more help to the newbies, more than anyone else. Regulars have already figured out who to trust. The ppl with high karma, already have it thru name recognition. The ppl who don't have high karma, but want it,, ahhh there is the problem. [bold]If you want high karma, you don't deserve it.[/bold] If you can obtain high karma thru some trick in the system, the ppl who dont deserve it, will find a way to get it. Once they do, the whole value system gets trashed. Titles don't mean a thing unless there is some value attached to it. If someone can acheive a higher status just by posting 1 liners, some ppl will do that. Then they have the same rank as someone who actually spent time to help someone fix a problem or two. I am not really worried about it. As long as AD lets me in here and i can help someone, i will stay. Even if they put a newbie status back under my name. Hey maybe we could have things like "doesn't play well with others", "Time-out", "has been placed in a pain amplifier".. on second thought, scratch those ideas. You don't want me to make up the titles here. It might get too crazy. :)

Last edited: Nov 22, 2005