1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kaspersky V's NOD32

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by Bubba664, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Bubba664

Bubba664 Member

Hi guys,

I think i've narrowed my quest for an A/V down to the 2 above.
    I'm concerned about the impact on resources that maybe Kaspersky may have.

Just how much difference is there on the impact of both of these heavyweight A/V's??

thanks again guys

kind regards

mike

2. cdavfrew

cdavfrew Regular member

If you do want to narrow it down to these two, I highly highly recommend Nod32 far above Kaspersky. With a spot-on detection, extremely extremely extremely low resource-consumption, and good heuristics, it beats Kaspersky down. Of course, some find its interface not as user-friendly, but I find it good and configurable.

That is, until I used Antivir. I still think it's the best. Have you seen the latest Av-comparative test? It came out very very recently. Also, check this page out: http://www.virusbtn.com/news/2008/09_02

Best Regards :D

PS: One more page to look at (it's not in english, but the results are pretty clear http://security.nl/artikel/22931/1/...ata,_Avira,_F-Secure_en_Norton_bovenaan.html)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2008
  3. Bubba664

Bubba664 Member

cdavfrew!

once again you've come up trumps!!

thank you so much!!

those really are outstanding results for AntiVir

Hmmmm you've thrown a spanner in the works :)

is AntiVir less draining on the resources than kaspersky?

If so I think you've convinced me to go for AntiVir :)

4. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

I am in complete agreement with cdavfrew on the AV…. Here’s a little trick…..

Avira AntiVir – The Free version has Nag screens but they can be stopped by googling avira antivir nag disable (but I didn’t say that) – This is the best of the free AV’s and better than most of the paid. I like it better than any AV that I’ve tried/tested, Free or Paid.

And for Free AntiMalware:

Comodo BOClean protects your computer against trojans, malware and other threats. It constantly scans your system in the background and intercepts any recognized trojan activity. The program can ask the user what to do, or run in unattended mode and automatically shutdown and remove any suspected trojan application. Comodo BOClean currently supports more than 60,000 malware items and offers automatic daily updates. Other features include updating via network share, tamper protection and stealth mode.

For the paranoid I suggest adding a weekly scan with MalwareBytes’ AntiMalware or SUPERAntiSpyware or BOTH

P.S. AntiVir and BOClean are both extremely lite on System resources..

Last edited: Sep 16, 2008
  5. Bubba664

Bubba664 Member

2oldgeek :)

you've also come through for me once again :)

you tow are complete legends!! thank you.

I have a few more questions, and i promise! no more! :)

is it worth purchasing the avira premium suite? or would this be a waste of money and i should just stick with the freebie download?

also, i've taken your advice so for my new vista setup i'll be going with the following...

Avira AntiVi, MalwareBytes, Super Antispyware and Comodo.

would i need any more preotection???? is there anything i'm missing??? finally, can they all run at the same time? does one counteract the other and therefore leave the laptop vulnerable??

thank you so much once again for all your help and advice.

i really appreciate it because i dont really understand any of this stuff!! :)

6. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

The Basics = AntiVirus, AntiMalware and Firewall…

Never buy basic software, there are a lot of excellent Free programs available and some are as good as or better than the paid versions.

Never use a “Suite”, use programs dedicated to one task.
    Note: 3 dedicated, regular carpenters can build a house faster than one large carpenter that’s trying to do all 3 of the jobs. [​IMG]

For the firewall portion of the equation:

• The Windows firewall only monitors incoming traffic, NOT outgoing. Using a software firewall in its default configuration to replace the Windows firewall greatly reduces the risk of your computer being hacked. Make sure your firewall is always enabled while your computer is connected to the internet.
    Note: You should only have one firewall installed at a time. Having more than one firewall installed at once is likely to cause conflicts and may well decrease your overall protection as well as seriously impairing the performance of your PC.

Comodo Pro Free for the geeks and ZoneAlarm Free for the novice.

I also suggest the use of a HOST file but before trying it, do some reading about its use found in this great article by Tony Klein So How Did I Get Infected In First Place

2OG

7. Bubba664

Bubba664 Member

2Old :)

thank youvery much for you posting.

I visited PC world to purchase a mouse. They had Kaspersky Internet 2009 on sale for £20.00 as opposed to £40.00. I also had vouchers to use in conjunction with some software. I managed to buy Kaspersky pack for £8.00

In the end i thought what the hel and plumped for that. I'm also goig to stick comodo on too so hopefully i'll be pretty covered.

thank you very much for your help and advice the last few days :)

kind regards

mike