1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kates Video Converter ... Worth Keeping?

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by mrlewp, Jan 13, 2008.

1. mrlewp

mrlewp Member

Has anyone tried this tool with general success? Took me at least six file downloads before finding a setup.exe for it that wasnt corrupted or missing some part ?
    Finally got it to install.
    **MAIN reason for seeking out something like this , was it claimed to convert most any video that may be in PAL standard , into new video at NTSC (29.97 fps) standard.
    I did get results , but in one case - file would play in several media players , but sounded and appeared very choppy when loaded into Pinnacle Studio , where I had hoped to convert to DVD (.vob) files.
    On another attempt , the .mpeg file would play in certain PC medial players , but not all.
    Finally , trying to convert an .avi (25fps) to a new . avi @ 29-30 fps , resulted in a much smaller file , playing for about a half second , where original source file was about 90 seconds.
    Wondering if it's worth keeping around?

2. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

3. mrlewp

mrlewp Member

I've looked into DVDFlick. Sounds good , but....what I'm running into is plenty of apps that want to begin with .vob files ( or .ifo).
    Problem I have is not being able to create DVD files from the video that I am obtaining from youtube and other sources on the net.
    Will DVDFlick accept an .avi , or a .mpg file as source files?
    (is that where the extra applet comes into play that is needed for captured video from camcorders , etc?)

4. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

If you looked at the link I gave you, the very first lines list the formats accepted by DVD Flick.

The beta version also supports menu creation.

5. mrlewp

mrlewp Member

I looked , and read all there was to read. Back to my original post...
    "**MAIN reason for seeking out something like this , was it claimed to convert most any video that may be in PAL standard , into new video at NTSC (29.97 fps) standard." ...referring here to Kate's Vid.Conv. tool.
    I went on faith that DVDFlick would deal with changing framerates, based on recommendation. It did do just that.
    However !!...the finished .mpg file I created looked great, but again was jerky, with choppy audio when loaded into Studio 9, even tho it played fine in media players !?
    Perhaps another post, another forum, but I've had this experience with Studio before, in the "preview" pane. Audio/video sync problems.
    I dont what that's all about, but it discourages one from going on with time-consuming DVD authoring, doubting the success/quality of final work to be burned to disc.
    I'll have to try creating .vobs from DVDFlick conversions with some other program.
    Thanks

6. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

What is your goal? What to you mean by "create vobs"?

7. varnull

varnull Guest

dvd-flick will make files.. just set it to file mode instead of using it in iso or burn mode.

As for making pal video (25fps) from ntsc (23.whatever or 29.9fps) then you need a muxer.. Your video will run at a slightly different speed.

Magic word.. avidemux

Oh.. and I make beautiful dvd's on an antique pc.. no judder, no jumps or freezing.. perfectly in sync... with nothing but free open source tools.. so maybe it's studio9 that is at fault here? You say you have had the problem before with it???
    I had similar problems with it a long time ago, and dumped it and went for another option..(before I learned that M$ is the problem).. I think it is a buggy application (and old now as well) There are far better tools around that don't screw up so much... why not try burning a dvd with flick and check the result in a standalone player instead of relying on a suspected flawed application for your quality control.

(spoken like a true burning site admin.. dammit)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2008
  8. kerry963

kerry963 Member

Hi, I have recorded a hdtv show on my pc and its 32gb mpg (with commercials in), How can I edit it and burn to dvd. What programs can I use.

9. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Use AviDemux and edit it,cut out all the commercials and stuff and then convert to DVD format.

10. kerry963

kerry963 Member

Thank you Cyprusrom!!!! On very slow dialup 26Kbps so I spent all last night getting files that were highlighted. EXCELLENT forum!!

11. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

So did you have success with Avidemux? I use it for editing, changing the format(it works great when you just want to change the container for example , without reencoding). I still have not used all its functions, like adding subbs and stuff. If you have 2 videos, it will append them flawlessly, also can edit with frame accuracy.

12. kerry963

kerry963 Member

WILL NOT BE BACK HOM FOR AFEW DAYS BUT THANKS TO YOU HAVE THE PROGRAMS AND WILL TRY WHEN i RETURN. Thank you so much for your time.

13. kerry963

kerry963 Member

I am trying the muxer now and can't figure out what A + B start and stop frame does except for mark the file. ie: [] I have no sound while being copied and can't find a help file for the program. I will run the whole file then see what happens. Its about 3 hrs long so I have to get the commercials out. Any help as for settings to start with and what the A + B does would help. Thanks

14. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

15. kerry963

kerry963 Member

Thank you that helps alot! I'm just not sure what should be in the left side boxes. says copy, copy and avi. my file is mpeg and audio is ac3, do I need to change the settings. I figured out the start and stop and did a short run but no sound so I tried burning it useing convertx and got sound and no video. I will admit I am a novice at this. But I am trying !

16. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

If you choose "Copy" for both, output to mpeg,the audio and video will not be reencoded.

17. kerry963

kerry963 Member

I found that out the hard way. I changed those boxes to what the configurater ( next to calc) said and ran thru it and saved project and it always saves it with mpg.idx can't seem to get it to save to mpg. But am reading all the forums on muxer and will keep trying. Thanks for your time and patients. If I get it I will post.

18. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Avidemux will index the mpeg video, and will create an idx file,which you don't need, but you should also have the result video file, the one that you named when you chose the output location, like muxedmovie.mpeg

19. kerry963

kerry963 Member

I save all the files to desktop and there is no mpg only idx and mpg.idx, probably doing something wrong, all I want to do is remove commercials to cut size down. did manage to burn it to a dvd-dl but audio is way off. I used dvd parser pro. Its hard for me to understand these programs. Easier ones would be nice. I am almost 60 so brain isn't as good as it used to be lol. I forget easy. I will search my drive for the mpg's thanks. I will get there yet.

20. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

I don't know of an easier mpeg editor that is free. There are plenty that probably are less complicated, but they are not free.If you have Nero Vision, you could give that a try. You can also try the Windows Movie Maker. They might be more straight-sorwrd, with less setting that you have to handle.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2008