1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KDE and GNOME

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by reloadSE, Jun 20, 2007.

1. reloadSE

reloadSE Regular member

Ok guys whats the difference between the two and whats the better one?

2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

The difference is... They're different! and KDE is better. (Unless you like Gnome more)

I know that's a silly answer, but, basically, KDE and Gnome are just two popular window managers for X-Windows. Sure, KDE is more helpful to new users, it has a lot of graphical tools up front for things that Gnome makes you use the command line for. But those helpful things for beginners have a way of being a millstone around your neck later on when you have gotten used to things a bit. (Believe me!!!)

This is a good discussion

KDE vs. Gnome

http://www.psychocats.net/essays/kdevsgnome

And this one has some good advice (eg don't choose your window manager because you like the colors)

KDE & Gnome Comparison

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/kdegnome

I use kde personally mainly because I like Konqueror but I quite like Nautilus (Gnome file manager) too.

Don't choose a window manager just because it looks like Windows and makes you feel safe, is my advice. To me, part of the pleasure of Linux is leaving Windows behind.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2007
  3. reloadSE

reloadSE Regular member

So if i liked ubuntu which uses gnome (i'm a noob at linux) would i want to get kubuntu because its KDE not Gnome?

4. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

if you like gnome get gnome. If you like kde get kde.

5. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

indeed, or push the boat out and use Enlightenment :)

6. reloadSE

reloadSE Regular member

WTF!?! is Enlightment as i said before

7. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Are you quite sure you should be bothering with Linux? It sounds like it's going to be a bit complicated for you?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2007
  8. reloadSE

reloadSE Regular member

Yea why wouldn't i be..... y did you start bothering with linux then aye!

9. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

I didn't write things like "WTF!?! is Enlightment" [sic] and use "I'm a noob at Linux" as an excuse, in forums. I went to Google and I found out what I wanted to know. Linux is good like that. It is all there for you to find out. You can help yourself.

10. creaky

- because i do UNIX for a living. Anyway (like most posters here), i write my replies for more than just the people who start the threads..

11. reloadSE

reloadSE Regular member

not to be rude or anything but this thread is bout kde and gnome not how you got into linux.....

12. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

it's about whatever it's about.

13. creaky

- sigh, you asked a question and i answered it. as I SAID BEFORE, "i write my replies for more than just the people who start the threads..". i'm obviously wasting my breath on this one, just use Ubuntu and be done with it, but if coming back here for help, be prepared to have tried helping yourself first, Linux is not for lazy people or people who don't put in the effort to do their research

Last edited: Jun 22, 2007
  14. deadlove

deadlove Guest

Anybody know where I can get a video tutorial on "how to pick your nose, for complete beginners" cos I been trying really hard every day, and I searched everywhere and I can't work out how to do it.

Linux? Because Unix existed long before windoze, and for window management.. whatever floats your boat. KDE and gnome are both a bit top heavy in my books (I use gnome mostly) http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=04/07/18/1937231

While on the subject of wasting breath, and not looking/reading anything anywhere.. how about 4 lines of text, and 4 userbars?.. surely there is a rule about text and graphics.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2007
  15. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

Download an ubuntu live cd.

Download a kubuntu live cd.

Try them both. Choose your favourite and install it.

Easy enough. One is not better than the other.

Oo and something i learnt a long time ago with the people here on AD. As soon as you mention that you use any form of ubuntu you've "shot yourself in the foot" in terms of getting help!

Ehh creaky?

Lecsiy

16. ElemonGW

ElemonGW Member

IMHO, the best is gnome. Very easy to use and light in resources. The only thing which it lacks is that it doesn't have so good aplications. However, this doesn't mean anything because KDE applications can easily be installed in gnome if you use synaptic/apt-get. Also, stop flaming people. I can't understand why you always look for an excuse to start arguing. Finally I think that you should try them both and decide by yourself which one fits your needs. However, IMHO gnome FTW!!!
    PS: I also think that if you want to go to linux, you must have lots of time and will, otherwise you won't succeed. However linux are by far better and when you become used to them you will not want to even see anywhere the cr**y windows (just like me :) ).

17. deadlove

deadlove Guest

You wonder why the flaming and pi$$taking?

Really very simple.. It's another of these retarded "what's the best" threads!! Nothing is better than anything else.. It's a matter of preference and personal taste. Both subjective..
    The best linux desktop is the console. No gnome, kde or anything. As long as the libs for x are installed an application with a GUI will boot it on demand. This leaves your system nice and clean.. and above all fast.

It's not for everybody, servers never have any graphical desktops.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2007
  18. reloadSE

reloadSE Regular member

Is "Enlightment" a gdm/gui desktop thing and isn't mac a unix based os so wud u do those creaky?

19. creaky

- i'm gonna be lazy here , snippet from http://www.enlightenment.org - "Enlightenment. What is Enlightenment?.
    Some people affectionately refer to Enlightenment as E because typing or saying the whole word is a bit of a mouthful. Early in its history, which began back in 1996, E was just a window manager for X11"

As to Mac, we only have a few of them at work and someone else supports them, so no need for me to use or mess with them. Maybe one day if i needed to use them in a new job, other than that i'm happy enough with Unix and Linux

20. reloadSE

reloadSE Regular member

Thanks creaky. i must be learning something