1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KDE vs. GNOME

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by DOUGHBOY6, Jul 28, 2006.

1. DOUGHBOY6

DOUGHBOY6 Guest

ok. i'm kinda wondering...what's da PROS and the cons of KDE and GNOME? like is one more stable than the other, one has more in to it? what da diff. all i know is that gnome was build on top of KDE.

2. tocool4u

tocool4u Guest

3. DOUGHBOY6

DOUGHBOY6 Guest

so on this article i read out of...GNOME is more stable than KDE?

4. tocool4u

tocool4u Guest

Yes...I think so.....It's all personal preference....but I heard that KDE crashes alot..

And also KDE is built on top of GNOME not the other way around

5. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

It is personal preference, but I've had no problems with KDE. Hasn't crashed at all. Like the link provided states you can install both (on most distros) and check out which one you like best.

6. lauritx

lauritx Regular member

I have been using Suse and KDE long time and havent see any crashing. I tried gnome and its okey but i went back to KDE.

7. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i used to have loads of grief with KDE, but latest versions seem to have been very stable. Used to use Gnome a lot due to KDE problems but now i use only KDE and it's great, especially the way it allows randomising of wallpapers

8. DOUGHBOY6

DOUGHBOY6 Guest

cool thx

9. DOUGHBOY6

DOUGHBOY6 Guest

quick question...dose redhat have KDE?

10. tocool4u

tocool4u Guest

Not by default you can install it later......And BTW Redhat can be used for Desktop use,but it's good for server use. I would stick with another distro...Debian is good for beginners and so is Fedora...But I would recommend Debian or the Debian-based Ubuntu

11. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

...and i'll wholeheartedly recommend Mandriva; even tried out Damn Small Linux (nice) today on a few machines, couple of those are even ancient Pentium 1 machines :p

12. DMW

DMW Regular member

I've started using Simply Mepis 6 recently and so far so good!

It's based on Ubuntu 6.06 and uses KDE, I was using Kubuntu which is also KDE, but Mepis seems faster even though it's based off of Ubuntu now.

13. DOUGHBOY6

DOUGHBOY6 Guest

hmmm...the thing is i want a distro that is kde BUT has alot of rep or its known...like when i downlaod a programs and it gives me the diffent distros i want someting that its gonna be on most of them u know...one that isn't gonna be left out...and Mandriva dose look nice... but the free one is out dated though

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2006
  14. tocool4u

tocool4u Guest

Ummm....Every distro has KDE. Just not by default..And on most when you install you can choose KDE or Gnome. KDE and GNOME are basically the same on every distro just some diffrent packages can be installed.

I don't understand what you just said there.

15. DOUGHBOY6

DOUGHBOY6 Guest

just forget about that then

16. DMW

DMW Regular member

Most packages I have have presonally downloaded have a Debian option, which is what my distro is based on and i have seen a lot with Ubuntu as an option also, which mine is based on.

You don't have to go for the BIG names, but obviously if it is a common distro you should find a bit more help easily.

Distros like Ubuntu don't have KDe by default, but it is so easily installed it's not a big worry.

Grab some live cds and have a play, see which you prefer.

17. DOUGHBOY6

DOUGHBOY6 Guest

cool thx i'll do that