1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

kef 2005.2 subwoofer

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by skyalfred, Apr 19, 2005.

1. skyalfred

skyalfred Member

I,ve the same speaker package. I paired it up with an onkyo tx602e av reciver. I'm still not sure about what to choose for the crossover and the phase. I'm using 80hz from the receivers settings but not sure about what to do with the crossover and the phase at the back of the subwoofer?.
    Help needed.
    alfred

2. a-vman

a-vman Member

Set all speakers to small. You only need to worry about the crossover settings in the receiver,(80 should be perfect)everything under 80hz will be sent to the sub. The crossover on the sub is only used if you are running it with an older model or a 2 channel stereo model that has no sub-out RCA. In that case you would run your front speakers through the sub and the cross over would basically "rob" the base for the sub.

The Phase adjustment allows you to change the phase of your sub if it and your fronts are canceling each other. You can do a coarse adjustment by ear. From your listening position, while playing a music track have someone adjust the phase setting. When you are happy that you are hearing the lowest tones you are set.

3. skyalfred

skyalfred Member

I've the crossover set to 80hz from the receivers bass management and all speakers as small .
    I tried tweaking the crossover a little and it looks like as if if have it set it 140hz u feel the presence of the sub but then there's no definition. It just keeps booming. 40hz is better but then I don't really feel the punch although there's a good definition.
    Is it better to leave it at 40 and the phase untouched?
    Advice needed.

4. a-vman

a-vman Member

Your subs crossover should be set to 140hz. This will allow the receiver to manage the bass. Make sure you have the bass set for sub out only and not sub + main. Your satellite speakers only go down to 80hz. so that should be the correct setting for the receivers crossover.

5. skyalfred

skyalfred Member

Hi,
    I have a bit of a problem with my sub. Not sure whether it is something usual with the kefs. The sub seems to be isolated when playing music,even at moderate volumes.
    Is there anything I can do to improve it?
    advice needed