1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kenwood VR-2080

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by mduga, Jan 25, 2007.

1. mduga

mduga Regular member

I found a Kenwood VR-2080 receiver sitting out by the dumpster at my apartment complex. It was in mint condition cosmetically. I plugged it in and it works nicely. Only problem is I don't have a remote. After looking online, I found the cheapest price for the remote is $167. Most sites list it for $200. This is outrageous considering I got it for free. I tried using one of those universal remotes and all I could do is turn it on and off and type in the numbers for the presets on the tuner.

Anyone know where I can find a cheaper remote, or a used one for cheap (under $100)? Or anyone know of another remote that I can use to control the receiver, that wouldn't cost me that much? Can't really control much without the remote on this receiver. Thanks for any info.

-Duga-

2. JVC

JVC Active member

Any of the Harmony remotes should help......
    They start at $99.

3. mduga

mduga Regular member

Okay, are they gonna be able to do most of the functions? I can't play any of the radio stations, except for what is already preset, which is only like 2 FM and a few AM. Also I want to be able to set the surround modes and stuff like that. Do you think it will be able to do that too?

I tried a universal remote and all I could get it to do is turn on and off the receiver and switch between the preset radio stations. I tried all of the codes for Kenwood and they all pretty much did the same thing.

The reason I want this to work is because it is about 10 times better then my current receiver. This one has dolby digital and DTS, while my current one is a Sony and only has dolby pro logic and simulated surround. Not sure how much better the digital will sound, but worth a try.

Thanks for the help.

-Duga-

4. JVC

JVC Active member