1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kepp "hearing voices" when playing DVD!

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by RealGem, Jun 5, 2013.

1. RealGem

RealGem Member

Hi,

I bought a new cheap Philips DVD player from Argos and it has been ok for a few weeks but the other day it started acting strangely.

I was watching a sci-fi film, and I could hear extra voices, as if I had an old radio not tuned in properly, and you could hear two different channels.

I started to suspect that the "world" I was seeing on the screen was perhaps a fake digital world, and that the voices were from the Real World (in the film). Then, as I suspected, it all turned out to be a dream for one character.

But when the film stopped and I watched the extras on the DVD, I could still hear these weird radio voices, and was annoyed that the DVD producers had been pretentious enough to include them in the extras!

THEN at the disc's root menu I could hear a running commentary about the Queen's Dad, King George's stammer and anxiety, and I remembered that my Virgin Media channel was currently showing a documentary about The Queen's Coronation (60 years this week).

And lo and behold, I switched off my DVD player and found the "VOICES" were coming from my normal network TV channel!

So they weren't in the Real World in the film, they were in the actual REAL WORLD.

It was just a big coincidence that the film's ending turned out to be a dream world, that I probably would not have predicted, had I not heard the voices.

Is that freaky or what?!

So, paranormal activities aside, what could have caused this to happen?

And how do I stop it please?

I recently put an aerial wire into the back of a DIFFERNT DVD recorder, and these voices thing has only happened since then, so I took that out, but it still happened, so that wasn't it.

If this had happenend since new, I would think the DVD player is cheap and nasty, but it has only just started happening, so I am stumped.

I just need to know; should I return the DVD player, as it is still under warranty?

Or is it not the DVD player's fault?

thanks a lot

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  2. attar

attar Senior member

Back when Adam was a boy I bought an audio cassette tape recorder.
    Somehow it picked up a particular vhf radio station which appeared on the tapes.
    Back it went.

3. RealGem

RealGem Member

Aren't electronics weird? In 1983 I had a VHF radio station on my tapes too. But that was because I was illegally taping the charts ;)

4. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

sound to me like you got an audio cable where it shouldn't be.i'd try hooking the dvd up to another tv (that isnt connected to anything) and see if same thing happens.
    I have a philips dvd player and have had a few electricals made by philips (got a philips sterio made in 1992 connected to my computer atm).i've never had a problem with them.

speaking of wierd experiences we had an old wooden box big tv in late 80s early 90s 1 of the channels use to pick up audio from the church 100metres down the road from up.

once you have tested just the dvd player (using red/blue/green or red/white/yellow)with no antenna and no other things connected to the tv or dvd player.if its the dvd player get a refund.

5. RealGem

RealGem Member

Thanks, I unplugged the Virgin box and it doesn't happen now, so it could have been the scart lead or dodgy connection there.

So funny that you got local church noises on your TV! They could have had dodgy mic wires - or maybe it was divine intervention!

6. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

well he got help problem solved and it was 100% free. An electrician would of charged $50 or more call out fee unplugged and plugged a few cables in and charged even more.