1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Key2audio help!

Discussion in 'Audio' started by enomi, May 11, 2003.

1. enomi

enomi Member

Hey, I have 3 CD's that I BELIEVE are protected with Key2Audio. The reasons being that they say "This CD will not Play in PC/MAC" and they mention "Sony Music" on a ring of the CD on the Data side. I've been trying different methods to burn/rip the CD's but I haven't been succesful. I've tried CloneCD, Nero, Easy CDDA Extractor, Alcohol %120, and Exact Audio Copy. I've read about the "marker trick" but I'm afraid of damaging the CD. If you can suggest any programs I haven't mentioned or any advanced settings I need to configure on the mentioned or un-mentioned program, please post them here. Thanks!

2. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

Instead of a marker you can use post-it or adhesive tape (one that doesn't leave marks when removed) -> no damage.

Have you tried EAC burst mode afterd detecting TOC manually?

To get specific help you should provide more information: What drive(s), what exactly happened, what's the title of the CD?

3. enomi

enomi Member

The 3 CD's are 1. Desafio, 2. Los Matadores Del Genero, and 3. Sopranos "First Season". They're all spanish CD's, they all say "Sony Music Mexico" and "This CD will not Play in PC/MAC" so I guess they're Key2Audio because of some descriptions I read on CD Freaks Audio Forum, but ClonyXXL couldn't detect the protection! The drives are Matshita DVD-ROM SR-8586 and LG CD-RW CED-8120B. I get problems of the programs saying that there was an error in a certain part or that it's copy-protected or that the write failed. The closest I've gotten to burning them is with CloneCD, it burns them but the copy doesn't play, if it does play the first song is 8 seconds and is blank and the rest don't even start to play. I'll try EAC in burst mode after detecting the TOC manually. Also, I don't know exactly where to put the post-it, should I put it at the very end? I'm wondering because one of the CD's is about 40 minutes and that doesn't mean the last song goes all the way to the edge of the CD does it? Thanks.

4. tigre

Thanks for the information.

1. Have you tried CDMage to extract audio directly from CloneCD image?

2. For CloneCD and ExactAudioCopy lowering extraction speed might give you an additional chance. (Besides changing the settings in EAC you can use a tool called CDBremse for this).

3. What does Windows Explorer show if you insert one of those CDs? .cda files and/or other files, e.g. a folder containing some audio player ...? If you browse the CD you might find a .txt (or similar) file containing information about copy protection.

4. The marker/post-it trick makes ONLY sense if the CD is mixed (audio + data). The second (3rd ...) session(s) containing data are visible if you look closely at the data side (bright light helps). You'll see "rings" that are separated from the big inner ring that contains audio data. These rings have to be covered by post-it at two opposite places of the CD (to keep balance). The image should explain quite well:

[​IMG]

5. Have you tried a firmware update for your drive(s)? BTW IIRC you can change your burner to 12x speed by a firmware update

Last edited: May 11, 2003
  5. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

Check this: http://cd-rw.org/articles/archive/cactusdatashield.cfm

What happened with Easy CDDA Extractor - how did it fail?

p.s. Tape on the CD is a very bad idea as it can get loose and fly around your CD drive - the rotation speeds are high, you know._X_X_X_X_X_[small]http://CD-RW.ORG - Online since 1996
    Millions of burners served[/small]

Last edited: May 11, 2003
  6. minix

minix Member

If you don't have the right drive, there's nothing you can do (except the marker trick).
    Plextors (and Teacs) are known to rip Key2audio (at least old versions).
    The right software is EAC, Feurio or CloneCD.

It was easy with my Ultraplex 40x.
    A small list of drives with audio protections:
    http://produits.zdnet.fr/test/82/1/1330.html

Last edited: May 12, 2003
  7. tigre

Good point. Good idea to be careful.

My Plextor 121032A needs lowered extraction speed to rip CDS protected disks anyway, so if I use adhesive tape, I set speed to 4x. Never lost a single peace of tape in the drive (I use black insulating tape).

Last edited: May 12, 2003
  8. enomi

enomi Member

tigre- When I put the CD's in my computer they don't play, and when I explore the drive there's only the audio files but they're all the same size and don't play if I try playing them. If I use a program and look at the sessions it has 2 extra data files at the end, in some programs it's divided into sessions. When I look at the back of the CD there is no ring dividing the parts of the CD. I never heard of CDMage, CDBremse, and don't know what firmware is.

cd-rw.org- When I try to extract the tracks with Easy CD-DA Extractor, I read the TOC in Session Analyze and it gives me all the songs and the 2 data files, I select the files and begin the extraction but in the bottom window that tells you the process says
    "Initializing...
    Extracting Track 1...Failed (ACD - File Creation Error)
    Done, 0 track(s) were successfully extracted, 1 failed.

Everyone- The problem I have with the "marker/tape trick" (in which I'd use tape at a low speed) is that I don't see where the separation is in the CD so I don't know where to put the tape. Also, if the CD's are short (about 40 minutes or so) would the last track be very close to the end of the CD or does the length of the CD depend? Also, for CloneCD (let's say) is there any settings I need to change and do I still need the "marker/tape trick" for that? O, and I was thinking, would it work if I used one of those CD recorders that you hook up to a stereo system? These recorders were out a while ago before they started putting burners on all the computers. I'm getting so frustrated, I've been trying to at least rip these CD's for about 3 months. Thanks!

9. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

10. enomi

enomi Member

Yes I did cd-rw.org, but good news to those who have/had the same troubles I did, I was able to rip them using Easy CD-DA Extractor. I had to use the "marker/tape trick" and then use Easy CD-DA Extractor...success! I'll try to post pictures for each step in a few days. Thanks to those who helped!

11. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

Reply from the author of Easy CDDA:

"Failed (ACD - File Creation Error), means that the output folder is write protected (unable to write), filename is empty, or filename has special characters reserved by the operating system"