1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keyboard and Safe Mode problem in XP really need help

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by samarjim, Apr 8, 2007.

1. samarjim

samarjim Member

My keyboard stopped functioning, so I can't log in to Windows XP. The arrow keys work, the fuction keys (f8 f1 f2) work. If i boot to dos promt the alpha keys work, my safe mode is not working, when I boot to safe all I get is a screen of paths? So decided to see if i could repair. Loaded my windows XP discs, got through to serial number but of course my keyboard wont work so I cant enter. I am really frustrated. If the keyboard is damaged the F keys and the arrow keys wouldnt work, or when in dos the alpha keys wouldnt work. Also could not use dos to system restore as I cant change directories. Any ideas.

2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

If the problem is a faulty keyboard, buy or borrow another keyboard. Cheap ones are like $5.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2007
  3. samarjim

samarjim Member

No its not the keyboard, first thing i thought of, i tried 3 other keyboards same problem, the arrow keys work and the alpha keys work only at the dos prompt..

4. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

You have tried both USB and PS/2 type keyboards? (PS/2 does not mean Playstation! It is older IBM standard keyboard connector)

PS/2 Keyboard Connector

[​IMG]

USB Connector

[​IMG]

Check BIOS to see if it says keyboard is installed, it can be set to Installed or None. It still works in BIOS because it HAS to. Otherwise you couldn't change it back to Installed if you needed to have it available to the OS. That option was included in BIOS for server purposes so a machine could be set up as server, and the keyboard disabled in BIOS to minimize the chance of tampering.

Or maybe suspect motherboard chipset.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2007
  5. samarjim

samarjim Member

ahh now we maybe getting there, i will try the usb tomorrow and the BIOS now

6. samarjim

samarjim Member

Keyboard in BIO, cant find there, where exactly is it... thanks

7. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

It may not be there, not all BIOS have keyboard settings, what is your PC make and model? What brand BIOS? (Award, AMI, etc)?