1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Khypermedia DVD+RW Internal 8x

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by yangster, Aug 26, 2004.

1. yangster

yangster Member

I just bought this DVD burner and installed it in my computer. My Computer said that it was working properly but when I wanted to burn movies on a DVD+R it burns but stops burning around 50% I use DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink for burning the movies.

Can anyone help me out with this problem.

2. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

what brand dvd did you use?

3. yangster

yangster Member

Khypermedia

4. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

sorry to say, but khypermedia is at the bottom of the media quality list. Try another brand like verbatim or ritek.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]V9 PS2, flip top, SMD, DVDLoader
    Pioneer 107, ritek g04
    DVD Shrink, DVD Decrypter, Nero[/small]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2004
  5. Cappy

Cappy Member

6. yangster

yangster Member

sly_61019
    sorry for the wrong info i'm using a sony DVD+R.

7. holokaust

holokaust Member

I just installed that same drive and am now having problems with it trying to burn. I use Nero to burn an audio CD, it starts to spin up, then my entire system shuts down and reboots! I'm thinking it's a power supply problem, but I'm not certain; maybe it's the KHypermedia DVD drive? I doubt the latter, since it has had some decent reviews...

http://www.neoseeker.com/resourcelink.html?rlid=84869

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

P.S.: I have a Dell Dimension 2350 with only a 250 watt PSU. Possibly the culprit?

8. Cappy

Cappy Member

Holokaust, it definatly sounds like a power issue. If you have another optical drive, try unplugging the power from that and try again.

As for getting a better powersupply good luck. Dell powersupplies are PRORIETARY even though they have the same ATX connector. Reason being is the pin-outs are different meaning that the pin you think is 5volts is actually 12 and POP! goes your motherboard. Prepared to be bent over buying a Dell specific power supply for that wattage you need. ;)

9. holokaust

holokaust Member

Yeah, I figured it was a PSU problem. I have three hard drives (120 GB, 120 GB, and 160 GB), so I'm thinking of unplugging the one that's on the same line as my optical drive. Think that'll work?

And I know all too well abour Dell's proprietary hardware. I'm thinking about building a new computer, anyways. Still, I'd like to get this to work, if I can...

Last edited: Sep 2, 2004
  10. Cappy

Cappy Member

Yeah If you unplug at least one (maybe two) hard drives, you should have enough power. Not to say that Dell setups are not upgradable, but usually you can add one hard drive and one optical without issue.

11. holokaust

holokaust Member

Well, I did it, but I still had problems. It didn't reboot, but, this time, the computer locked up and I had to do a hard shutdown. When it came back up, I tried it again, with the same results. However, I wanted to know if the KHypermedia drive would burn at all, so I tried to burn an audio CD with WMP and it worked. Unfortunately, my iTunes didn't recognize it for me to burn one through there and when I ran DVD-Xcopy Platinum, it failed to read a DVD, even though that program DID recognize the drive. I'm going to try working with it, but if it doesn't get straightened out soon, I'm going to return it. Plus, I need to put my NEC ND-1100A back in and make sure my computer itself is still okay (i.e. broken connector pin or whatnot)...

12. Cappy

Cappy Member

I dunno about the iTunes but the DVDXCopy having problems may be attributed to the fact there are no new updates for that program as it is 'illegal' now(But not if you bought it before the ruling of course. That's the beauty of the Grandfather rule). Either way, try the latest DVD Decryptor and see if it still has problems.

Also, it is IMPERATIVE that you update your firmware if you haven't done so yet. Firmware updates fix many problems with burning as it classifies media into groups with common burning strategies. And be sure NOT to have the disc in the drive while 'flashing' it with the newer firmware.

13. holokaust

holokaust Member

I put in the NEC drive and it works fine. Absolutely no problems, so *whoosh* back to the store the KHypermedia drive goes. Regardless, though, I think I'm just going to build a new computer. I'm sick and tired of getting anal-ized by Dell's proprietary limitations. However, before I do, I think I'll test Nero on my NEC, since I didn't have it before the KHypermedia drive. See what happens...

Last edited: Sep 4, 2004
  14. khyperdan

khyperdan Member

I have that drive and love it. Mine burns verbatim 4x at 8x using nero. I did have some problems not being able to read dvd-rs but the new firmware fixed that. You were prolly right about the power supply guess, I never had a problem but I am runnin a hq power supply since i need clean power to my overclocked rigs :)
    All in all i've been very happy with my Khypermedia 8x dvd+r

15. holokaust

holokaust Member

Damn it, that just burns my ass. I found what appears to be a decent drive that has had decent reviews and what's missing? A decent PSU. Go figure. Anyways, I still plan on returning it, because if I'm going to build my own copmuter, then I might as well get something like the Sony DRU-510A or the Pioneer DVR-A06 (probably the Sony). Makes me sad, though. Was hoping that the KHypermedia would be a cheap replacement for my worn out NEC...