1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KillerNIC M1

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by Lesco, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Lesco

Lesco Member

has anyone brought one of these:

KillerNIC M1 Network Card with 400Mhz Processing Unit, RJ-45 and USB 2.0

and if so what are your thoughts, are you pleased with the product, what problems if any have you had with it etc, etc.

I am considering buying one...........................................

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I don't own a Killer NIC myself, but my advice is that unless you're made of money, there's no reason to buy one. Using onboard networking, not even any old PCI card, latencies over a proper gigabit network are absolutely fine. You wouldn't notice the difference. The amount of bandwidth used by playing games over a network is also so slight that the performance hit on your CPU for networking would be negligible. The only occasion when it would be worth getting a network card like the Killer would be if you're transferring masses of data over a network whilst gaming. If you do that, you're still looking at more of a performance hit in copying the files than the network adapter's CPU usage (although it's a relatively even split). The Killer doesn't solve anything a faster CPU would also solve. Given how much they cost, is it such a good deal?

3. Lesco

Lesco Member

Thanks very much Sam, that makes a lot of sense and is very intresting what you have said. I think I will save my money :eek:)

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Good stuff, it figures that if you were considering a gaming network card, you're a gamer. The money you save by not buying one of those could earn you something else I'm sure you could make better use of.

5. Lesco

Lesco Member

Yes Sam I do enjoy online gaming and have done since day one really, I am one of the oldest gamers on the block.

I started all those years ago with MUDD, then moved onto Ultima Online, and eventually got into Lineage 2 (my all time and current favorite) WoW and I am also a games master on two big american servers for WoW and Lineage.

I have a very high spec machine with the duel grapics card setup (crossfire) and also have a 20 mb broardband connection ( currently the fastest he in the UK at the moment)

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Crossfire to play WoW.... overkill methinks?
    To get 20Mbps in the UK you need to be very close to an exchange, that's just luck really. We use a 24Mbps ISP but because of the length of our phone line we can only get 1.6Mbps...