1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Knackered Xbox HD

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by rob&keri, Aug 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rob&keri

rob&keri Regular member

OK I have a Xbox (not chipped) with a knackered HDD which I can't access. I have a Western Digital 80GB which will work (I've checked stats). I don't have the Eeprom.bin file from the Xbox but have ordered a reader/writer so I can get it(I hope).

Can I use xboxhdm to make this HDD usable in the Xbox? I have read nearly every walkthrough of Xboxhdm but am still concerned cos I caused the knackered HDD by trying to upgrade it.

Do I only need the Eeprom.bin thats goes into the linux folder on Xboxhdm so I can lock the HDD after I've finished building it?

I have a second soft modded Xbox if that makes any difference

Many thanks Rob

2. rob&keri

rob&keri Regular member

I managed to back up the new Xbox (soft modded) and tried to upgrade with a new hard drive.

Everything went well after I conneted the new drive it booted up but then wouldn't play the softmod properly keep rebooting. It came up with a error code of 7

tried it again this morning and it goes through the green blob, then the Xbox logo, then hangs then comes up with the error code

7 - kernel - HDD timeout

Most of the times, the IDE cable is not properly connected when you see this error. Please reattach the ide cable. Not only to the harddisk drive but also to the dvd drive. ALso try to reconnect the ide cable to the motherboard.

Press pretty hard so it goes all the way in. Make sure it is seated straight and proper in the drives and the motherboard. If you still have an error 7. Try another ide cable. If that won't work try another harddisk. If there is still no go, try to set the jumpers on the rearside of the harddisk drive. Set it to master or cable select. If still no succes, good luck and sell your xbox to me rolleyes.gif

3. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.