1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Knoppix wont let me save files from a corrupted OS

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by triviaace, Jun 6, 2007.

1. triviaace

triviaace Regular member

My Windows XP Media Center OS crashed and I get a blue screen with the ereror message: Bug Check 0x7B: INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE. The only way I could get back into the system and try to salvage some of my files is with a Knoppix 5.1.1 DVD. The dvd sets up a Linux OS and I am following a tutorial by Cedric Shock, "Computer First Aid Using Knoppix". I tried copying the files and/or folders to a DVD+RW disc and to a 4GB Cruzer jump drive. Neither operation was successful. I would appreciate any help I can get so I can salvage my files before reinstalling my OS.

2. MasterChu

MasterChu Guest

Moving to Langjökull in Iceland - so all the info I posted is moving with me!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2007
  3. triviaace

triviaace Regular member

Hope it works better then Knoppix.

4. MasterChu

MasterChu Guest

5. triviaace

triviaace Regular member

Thanks for the link. I went there and downloaded PE Builder v. 3.1.10a and installed it to my hard drive. However, when I clicked on my desktop icon to run installation launch to disc, I kept getting and error message: Invalid Souce Path (Cannot find file F:\i386\setupldr.bin). The same thing happened when I selected C instead of F. I tried it with a blank DVD+RW disc and with a blank CD-R disc. When I tried to install on F:\ the message was Drive or UNC share you selected does not exist or is not accessible. Please select another. I don't understand what is happening.

6. MasterChu

MasterChu Guest

7. triviaace

triviaace Regular member

The only disc I have is a Dell Operating System Reinstallation CD for Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition. I put this disc in my read-only drive and found the folder I386 and placed it in the source box. When I tried to access it, I got an error message "Invalid Source Path (cannot find file: E\I386\i386\setupldr.bin". If I need the Windows Installation disc, I guess I'm dead in the water. Any other ideas?

8. MasterChu

MasterChu Guest

9. triviaace

triviaace Regular member

I used E:\i386\setupldr.bin and the results were the same: can't find the file.

10. MasterChu

MasterChu Guest

11. triviaace

triviaace Regular member

I did an advanced search and found one file which I copied to My Documents. When I tried to make the Bart PE disc, a message came up that the file could not be found, no matter where I searched. Do I have any more options or am I screwed?

12. MasterChu

MasterChu Guest

13. triviaace

triviaace Regular member

I followed your instructions and found 2 files (very long ones) and plugged them into the source location and got the same message as before: Invalid Source Path. Cannot find file...The files that were found were a Program File and a Windows file. I tried both but to no avail.