1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kodak digcam .jpg / cant open with some apps?

Discussion in 'Digital photography' started by mrlewp, Aug 25, 2004.

1. mrlewp

mrlewp Member

Isnt a jpeg a jpeg ? Transferring DX6340 photos to hard drive , then wanting to do more with them than Kodak's Easyshare offers. But, M'GraphX Picture Publisher will not open them. That is, not until I resave them-still as jpegs! , using another pic app. such as Irfanview, which WILL open the orig. saved files from camera. I've run into this before even using a dig'cam image file. Pict.Publisher handles most all common files, but on occasion, would state that one of those commone files is not valid or whatever?

2. shooter

shooter Member

Some editing programs forget to add the extensions onto the end of the file name. They leave off the .jpg, so the program does not know what to use to open it with.
    And still yet, others need the whole .jpeg file ending to open one. As long as the file will open with a standard .jpg viewer, I would check the file names first, before I bothered with anything else.
    One other thing. I don’t have much experience with Kodak cameras, but if it is a NEWER one, then it MAY be shooting in Jpeg 2000 format, and that IS different from the usual Jpeg format were all used to. I know adobe has a plug in for the new jpeg 2000 format, but I am not sure about your software, if it does or not..? Odds are it is not jpeg 2000, that is usually only used to resave images, as it has a better compressor, and saves the pics with less loss of quality than standard Jpeg does.
    Good luck to you.