1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kodak Easyshare z740 access to pics without software

Discussion in 'Digital photography' started by ThePastor, Jan 17, 2006.

1. ThePastor

ThePastor Member

I realize I may find what I'm looking for at a more "camera centric" website, but I've come to rely on Afterdawn for my DVD needs so I thought I'd ask you guys for a bit of help with my new digital camera.

I just purchassed a Kodak Easyshare z740 Digital Camera.
    Like most bundled software made by hardware manufacturers the Kodak software just plain sucks...
    Also, it would just be very convient to be able to plug my camera into any USB port and grab my pictures...

So, why can I not do this with my z740?
    I've seen other digital cameras and when you plug them in, usually you can see their memory as a HD in My Computer.
    Not so with the z740...
    So I read a bit and realized that it was possible that the Kodak software was preventing this. So, I plugged my camera in at work with no software installed.
    Windows XP Pro recognized the camera but aparantly had no driver to install. Windows update had nothing either.
    Neither did Kodak!!!

So, what is it? Is Kodak that lame? Is Kodak so hell bent on marketing it's overpriced photo items from its online photo uploading service that it is just going to refuse to let you have access to your pictures unless you install its memory hog, slow, cumbersome, pain-in-the-ass software?

Anyone out there have any clues where I can find a Windows XP driver that will enable me to see my camera as a HD?

I have faith! :D

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

what showed up in windows explorer when the camera was connected to the computer??

3. ireland

ireland Active member

What type of problem are you having with EasyShare software?

Select:

Cannot transfer pictures

Our latest version of EasyShare software should resolve this problem. Do the following to verify that you have the latest version of EasyShare software installed on the computer:

1. Start EasyShare software.
    2. From the menu bar, select Help > About Kodak EasyShare software.
    3. Check that you have one of the following versions of software installed on the computer:
    * Version 5.1 or later for a Windows operating system
    * Version 5.1 or later for a Macintosh operating system
    4. If you do not have the correct version of software installed on the computer, visit the EasyShare software Web page and download the latest version of software. Follow the on-screen instructions.

go here for all the info
    http://www.kodak.com/global/en/service/downloads/dln_ekn029416.jhtml?pq-path=10/3905/6594/6607/6614

4. ThePastor

ThePastor Member

When I plug the camera into my Windows xp Pro machine the hardware wizard finds the camera but cannot find the correct driver.

The software that comes with the camera is just real cumbersome. It makes managing files difficult when you are used to managing images with explorer and ACDsee or Paint Shop Pro or Thumbs Plus.

And basically I find it inconvient to have to install a bloated piece of software just to download some pics from my camera.

5. ireland

ireland Active member

try this
    The computer may be set up incorrectly. Do the following to resolve this problem:

1. Select Start > Settings > Control Panel > System.
    2. Select the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.
    3. Double-click Universal Serial Bus controllers.
    4. Right-click USB Root Hub, and then select Properties.
    5. Select the Power Management tab.
    6. Clear the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power checkbox, and then click OK.
    7. Close all open windows.
    8. Restart the computer.

If your computer still does not recognize the camera, visit our Interactive Troubleshooting Guide to help resolve this problem.
    http://www.kodak.com/global/en/service/repair/troubleshooting/troubleshooting.jhtml?pq-path=6198

6. ThePastor

ThePastor Member

Ok, a correction.
    My work computer is a Windows 2000 machine, (not XP)...
    Regardless though, it should still be able to access my camera.

The problem is not that the computer does not recognize the camera. It does. The hardware wizard sees the new hardware device and names it correctly as a Kodak Easyshare z740 digital camera.
    Where it fails is when it attempts to install a driver for this device.
    I would think that no driver would be required or that Windows would have one at the very least on Windows update.

I went through the troublshooter and it just said to install the Easyshare software. I know I can do this and be able to get my pictures.

I do not want to do this. I want to access my pictures directly, using explorer, without a proprietary piece of software that requires a hefty download and a reboot!

We're talking about JPG files saved on a storage device connected to a computer through the USB port. Every other storage device I've ever plugged into my computer, from external harddrives to tiny keychain memory sticks is instantly recognized as a storage device on my computer. Any digital camera I've seen (not many since I've never owned one... but a few) were instantly recognized as a storage device in Explorer.
    This is all I want. I do not want a download. I do not want a large program to have to install, particularly one as marketing driven as Easyshare.

I just want to plug my camera in and get my pictures.

Is this an impossibility?
    Heck, I'd even accept that if it would just say so on the Kodak help pages. They seem to completely ignore this issue.

I've sent an email question to Kodak. We'll see what they say.

Totally frustrated.

7. ireland

ireland Active member

Ok, a correction.
    My work computer is a Windows 2000 machine, (not XP)...
    Regardless though, it should still be able to access my camera

win 2000 does not have the driver,in the inf folder.it has to be download with the software program..

i know cause thats what i had to do using 2000.with a kodak camera.

xp does have the driver.
    cheers

8. ThePastor

ThePastor Member

Ooo, that's good to know...
    I'll try in a friends XP computer and cross my fingers!

9. blubyu

blubyu Member

Not sure if this is the answer you are looking for. I have the same cam (my 2nd kodak). I found it a pain to transfer through the easyshare software as well.

I bought a disc reader (sandisk) that fits my sd card and transfer that way. Using xp home and win 2000 I could transfer the pics through explorer - however it was 'very' slow and I didn't want to chance losing my pics - I wouldn't recommend doing it through explorer.

10. ThePastor

ThePastor Member

An update...

I have now aquired an SD card so I will be testing a few things tonite.
    But, a word about the Kodak Gallery and EasyShare software...
    Hey, maybe I'm just a complainer! ;)

Anyway, the software is ok, I suppose, for as far as it goes. It does a miserable job of actually orginizing and indexing the pictures. Maybe after I spend some time with it I'll figure out how to tweak it to do what I want.
    The one button album upload is great, though. The ability to edit and adjust albums locally and then upload them to an online host is a Godsend... Until, that is, I discover that hotlinking is not available... (unless I'm doing something wrong. I've got an open request for help with Kodak Gallery)
    Anyway, here's a hotlinked photo. We'll just see if it works.
    [​IMG]
    I'm guessing that it won't.

The point is that this software and this on-line gallery has TONS of potential... but completely falls on its face because of Kodaks relentless push for buying their prints of your photos!
    I have no need for prints of my photos. I have a digital camera because I am a webmaster and I need digital photos.
    I have to believe that the majority of digital camera users are the same. They want their photos to use online, not to print!
    Ok, maybe many want prints, but still MANY want just to make them available online.

The way the gallery works now I will have to re-upload any picture that I wish to use anywhere else besides in the gallery. If this is their policy then fine. But I highly suggest to them that they add this funtionality. It would be incredibly appreciated.

11. johnodd4

johnodd4 Guest

well im sorry to say all kodak cameras are rigged to the easyshare software i own two of them one is a 2.0 mega pixel and the other one is a 3.2 megapixel

just get a sd card reader it is cheaper then you do not have to have all of that crap on your computer from kocrap oops i mean kodak

12. ThePastor

ThePastor Member

An update:
    After several emails with Kodak Gallery the nice person at the other end of the email finally told me that in order to actuall USE my pictures I needed to subscribe to a "premium" service that has a monthly fee. BAh!

So, they get a copy of your original picture at original resolution, but don't allow you to download it and they offer practically no service whatsoever for the priviledge of having access to my pictures.

I politely told the person that I would be deleting all of my photos and removing the software.

The good news is, if you uninstall Kodak Easyshare, and then reinstall it, there is an option to include the Picture downloading only. This will enable your XP machine (not sure about others) to see your camera as a hard drive letter. You can transfer pictures to and from the card without a problem.
    When configured this way even Picasa can download your pictures from your camera...
    But, don't get me started on Picasa!

13. blubyu

blubyu Member

That 'nice person' from kodak is full of crap - but you already knew this. Must be working on commission - but should be canned imo.

It's really too bad that they pull stunts like that. I really like the kodak quality and quickness - particularly where digital cams are concerned. That easyshare turns a lot of people off, and many people don't figure out a way around the software.

14. ThePastor

ThePastor Member

Here is the email... I always respect the privacy of the email, but seeing as this is a service email I think posting it is appropriate.

If you know of some workaround, blubyu then I'd be very interested to hear... :D

15. blubyu

blubyu Member

Buy an SD disk reader. $7-25. Then you can transfer your pics directly to your computer without the easyshare software. It was mentioned a couple of times earlier in the thread. :)

16. ThePastor

ThePastor Member

I was referring to this...
    Yes, I've already un-installed the Kodak software and now I move my pictures from my camera to my hard drive (and back if I want) using explorer, and I didn't need to get a card reader. The camera will function as one.
    I should note, though, that this disables the "favorites" function. A feature so "important" that Kodak gives it an entire "mode" on the camera. (turn the on off switch to the left instead of the right)

17. blubyu

blubyu Member

I take it then your problem is solved.

Not sure about the specific model you're using and the favourites feature. I simply didn't use it on the 2 cams that I've had. No biggy.

18. grampie

grampie Guest

I found the following FAQ on the EasyShare web site:

Question:
    Now that I have upgraded to EasyShare software version 5.0, my connected device is no longer displayed as a drive letter in the My Computer window or in Windows Explorer. What is wrong, and how can I fix it?

Answer: [Answer last updated:02-08-06]
    There is nothing wrong. In EasyShare software version 5.0, you no longer have access to the device in My Computer or Windows Explorer. Instead, you use the Sync and Transfer Manager (Tools > Sync and Transfer Manager) to manage and configure the devices you use with EasyShare software.

If you want to see the device as a drive letter in the My Computer window or in Windows Explorer, you must use Kodak camera connection software as stand-alone software. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Right-click the EasyShare software icon.
    2. Select Shut Down EasyShare software.
    3. Uninstall EasyShare software:
    a. Select Start > Settings > Control Panel > Add / Remove Programs. For Windows XP operating systems, select Start > Control Panel > Add / Remove Programs.
    b. Select Remove (or select Change, and then select Remove).
    c. Follow the on-screen prompts to remove the software.
    4. Install EasyShare software, and select a Custom Install to install only the camera connection software.

19. grampie

grampie Guest

The restrictive EasyShare seems to have another downside - I don't think there's a way to copy picture files back to the camera / memory card. E.g., I might want to take my memory card to a digital photo processor to get some high-quality large prints made of pictures I edit on the computer. A card reader/writer seems to be a necessity if you install this software.

20. blubyu

blubyu Member

I think the bottom line here is -
    1. you can chose to use the easyshare software (in which you can transfer your pics to your computer through with the original oem version) or store on the kodak site (with retrictions with the updated software and possible extra costs)
    2. buy a card reader $7-24 and transfer through ie to your hard drive

Either you choose to use the easyshare software or not - but using their software is not mandatory. I used to transfer directly through ie using win 2000, however, when transferring 140 pics of a wedding and it hanging up I decided I didn't want to chance losing them and sprung for a card reader. Pretty simple/cheap fix if you prefer not paying for/using the easyshare software.
    I take a lot of pics and regularly transfer large #s of pics at a time.
    If a person wants to take pics in for printing they would usually tranfer to their card or burn them to cd anyway - right? Again done with the card reader for putting them back onto sd.