1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kodak Easyshare z740 access to pics without software

Discussion in 'Digital photography' started by ThePastor, Jan 17, 2006.

1. ThePastor

ThePastor Member

I get it... get a card reader...
    (You don't actually need one as there is a driver included that can be installed that will read your card (and even the camera's local memory) without the bloated Kodak EasyShare stand alone program. It shows your camera as a hard disk in explorer and you can view/download/upload/edit to your hearts desire.
    The directions to do so were just posted by grampie.

I just find the direction that software providers are starting to go down to be quite disturbing.
    It is very clear that the software that comes with my camera and which is billed as a major selling point for my camera and supposidly adds to the value (and cost) of my camera ammounts to nothing more than a thinly veiled marketing gimmick that if left unchecked could quite easily sway the masses into thinking that "this is the way things work".
    Take Picasa, for example. Google, the KING of search engines has released a program called Picasa. It's a very good, easy to use image cataloging/orginizing program. It's free, like Gmail.
    Unfortunantly, when you look at it a bit closer you realize that this is nothing more than a way to market photo printing as well as giving them a free photo index of all your pictures for google's own use. When asked to put in a simple thing like a heirichial folder view (which takes away from their need to FORCE you to lable/tag/describe your photos) they simply ignore their users or just say exactly what you guys are saying... "Hey, it's free."

This direction being taken by software manufacturers is a very dangerous thing. And when my HARDWARE becomes reliant on such software, thus removing my choice in the matter, well then I feel the need to speak up.

2. sinner6

sinner6 Member

I got it to work on my computer a 2k machine with a DX6490

1) Uninstall Easyshare and all it components
    2) Download the newest version of easyshare ( I got 5.2 )
    3) When going to install select these options select custom and choose thusly:
    Kodack camera connection software INSTALL
    KODACK 6-1 Card Reader INSTALL
    KODACK 8-1 Card Reader INSTALL
    EasyShare NOT INSTALL
    Software Updater NOT INSTALL
    Printer Dock NOT INSTALL
    4) Let the installation softwate install and reboot.
    5) Press the "One Touch" button and it will become just another drive, I:\ in my case.

Hope that helps.

3. SeanZ0r

SeanZ0r Regular member

This is all you have to do. Go into usb mode with your camera(just plug it in) then when windows asks to search for drivers, just select your cdrom drive and put in your cd. Then it will recognize it as a disk drive, works with my dx4770.