1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kodak Z812 IS

Discussion in 'Digital photography' started by Culchie, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Culchie

Culchie Regular member

If anyone is familiar with this camera, I would like to know the least expensive route as far as compatable rechargable batteries and a charger. Include the product number if you can. Thanks Alot.

2. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

I'm running the Kodak rechargeables and charger that the batteries hold up extremely well.I also run the Ever Ready Lithium,expensive but out live other batteries.The Kodak # for the battery pack is KAA2HR 1.2v x 2. Where as the non rechargeables are a CRV3 3v.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2008
  3. Culchie

Culchie Regular member

That's great. I can still use the batteries and charger I was using with my other camera. But don't think I can recharge lithium batteries with it. I should get my camera on Friday. How do you like yours ?? I feel it will be great for a non-pro photographer. Thanks for the reply. Happy New Year !!

4. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

Nope can't recharge the lithiums,but i've got about 4hrs of video on the set in there and i don't know how many pics.Whats your other camera?Ihoe has some really neat tips and tricks for photography. in fact I didn't even know the Kodak software had a panoramic view like the Canon till I read his post and went searching For this amateur this camera works awesome. Videoed a concert of a local band and the sound and video came out perfect when I made a DVD of it.Chris

Last edited: Jan 1, 2008
  5. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

6. Culchie

Culchie Regular member

Yeah, I just read about the panoramic view yesterday in a review. That will be great for Ireland trips. I never have heard how much video will fit on the camera though. Does that depend on the memory you have in it ? Thanks for the ihoe link. My other camera is an Easyshare DX4900. Had an issue with the power on switch. Sometimes it would turn on, sometimes not on the first try. And, sometimes when it didn't turn on, it would lose the time & date. On eBay now.

7. mankeyman

mankeyman Member

I would use the Kodak battery pack that they sell for the Z812IS. I have reasonable luck with lithiums but not with high def video. The same goes for the SD card for video high def capture - Kodaks card was the only one that worked for that. Good luck!

8. Culchie

Culchie Regular member

Thanks. I think I'll use my rechargable Ni-MH for pics. And always keep a CRV3 lithium on hand for Vids. Kodak gave me a free 2 GB card with the camera.

9. suzybug

suzybug Member

I have kodak 2300mah, energizer 2500 mah and neither seem to give very good performance. I got 45-50 pictures but after only 15-20 pics I had the low battery indicator on this was also only one turn and and taking the pics one after another. No idle time, flash used on many of the pictures, and reviewed the pictures once for a minute or two. This seems very short battery life to me. I called Kodak and they recomended lithium batteries but I really want rechargable. Anyone have ideas.

P.S. The kodaks are brand new.

10. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

just a word on rechargeable batteries....... I never had any that worked for any length of time! I know that buying AA batteries for my flash is expensive but I had many rechargeables and never really had any durability with them. At first they last.... but as you recharge them they seem to lose their power with every charging! They just don't last! And I don't want to use those at the expense of taking a good picture. So the only alternative is to buy regular batteries. I find Duracel as my brand a choice. Just my opinion.

The batteries I have in my camera can fit 6 AAs but I use the Canon batteries that came with the camera:
    http://a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/CanonEOS30D/Images/battcharger.jpg
    and with a battery grip, The EOS 30D supports the same BG-E2 battery grip as the EOS 20D. The grip can take either two BP-511A (or BP-511/512/513) Lithium-Ion batteries or six AA batteries via a supplied magazine. The grip is attached to the body by removing the battery compartment door (which can be stored in the grip), inserting into the battery compartment and screwing to the grip mount. The grip and two batteries adds 374 g (13.2 oz) to the weight of the EOS 30D.
    http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/9697/batterygripep9.jpg

And my batteries don't go down EVER!!!! I have taken my camera out for days on shoots and you can't run them down....... three days straight and over 4 thousand shots and still the batteries have not run down!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  11. suzybug

suzybug Member

Ihoe-
    Everything you talk about is a cannon piece of equipment. Does it also work on this Kodak camera?

I haven't had the time or money to get some lithium batteries yet but after thinking about this for the past few days I can only assume that this and other higher powered cameras need the higher voltage to work properly. Since rechargeable are only 1.3v and lithium batteries are 1.5 this is the only reason I can figure that the rechargeable don't work worth a darn.

P.S. My ex wife has the same camera and the rechargeable don't work for her either. Anyone looking at this camera, IT IS A GREAT CAMERA, but plan on buy lithium batteries.(according to Ihoe maybe that is the plan for all higher powered cameras.)

12. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

the only thing I use rechargeables for is for my flash! not the camera!

13. susieqbbb

susieqbbb Guest

Ok let me run you through the basics of kodak.

kodak happens to make the best lo income digital cameras with one flaw they are rigged to the kodak easyshare software system.

Recommendations:

I my self have nothing against kodak in fact i own 3 of there cameras because they are so freaking good and cheap i love them as a throw away digital camera.

Here is the list of what a recommend you do if going to a kodak outfit.

1. get a sd card reader this way you do not have to install the nasty kodak software.

2. purchase a kodak easyshare all in one printer scanner they run 79.99 for a refurbished model from kodak and the cartrages are only 22.00 for both the color and black ink they come in the same bag you will also find that you can direct print from your camera through the easyshare 5100 series printer and convert the device to wireless with a 40 doller add-on.

3. purchase a photo editing suite and not a expensive one in fact corel and even apple have a nice suite that runs 200.00 on down making photoshop look like a childs toy.

and get to work i love all my kodak cameras.

14. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

you have no idea how stupid this statement is! Photoshop CS3 is the highest photo editing software there is! Nothing is better....... until Photoshop CS4!!!!! you have no idea how powerful photoshop is, and that's because you don't know how to use Photoshop! And you don't take pictures in RAW format!

15. susieqbbb

susieqbbb Guest

I take it your a photoshop lover then.

I am sorry to say that most of the plugins on the market for photoshop are going to aperture 2.0 because they are more expensive to produce for cs3 and company's are getting bored with cs3 and adobe's nasty licensing system.

But there is one issue both corel and apple allow conversion plugins and even some of the top of the line plugins from photoshop are allowed to run in there software for nothing so you get the goods without having to shell out 2,000 for a copy of cs3.

This is why i recommend these 2 company's for kodak camera's because i refered to the kodak as a throw away digital camera meaning that if anything goes wrong they are cheap enough you can throw one away and purchase another for a lot less then it would cost to repair the camera and all though cs3 has support for kodak camera's the support is limited and even with the easyshare software installed cs3 has issues correcting the kodak embedded jpeg profile that they use.

So it is really up to how much money you are willing to spend 2,000 for photoshop cs3 or 80.00 from corel for a great photoshop clone. it is really up to the user.

16. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

I take it back, susieqbbb. You do know a little about CS3. but I favor it and I seen what it can do compared to the others. here's a shot with the flutter filter:

[​IMG]
    this filter didn't cost me at all.

17. suzybug

suzybug Member

I bought some lithium photo batteries and have had good luck! Taken atleast 50-75 shots and still going strong. I don't know why Kodak lies and tells you they recommend rechargeable because they don't work worth a crap in this camera!!!! My ex wife has the same camera and again with brand new rechargeable only a few pics and it is dead.

18. suzybug

suzybug Member

Is there a way to edit a previous post? couldn't find it.

Anyhow I also wanted to ask does anyone know of a memory card that is fast enough for the video? I bought mine online and it came with a 4 gig card that is working awsome for pics but to take video it just cant keep up. After a few secconds of the highquality video and the camera told me it was stopping due to slow memory card. I have a few other cards, kinston, gfm, and a kodak but it is only 128mb so it is too small for much video I am guessing. THanks

19. suzybug

suzybug Member

Is there a way to edit a previous post? couldn't find it.

Anyhow I also wanted to ask does anyone know of a memory card that is fast enough for the video? I bought mine online and it came with a 4 gig card that is working awsome for pics but to take video it just cant keep up. After a few secconds of the highquality video and the camera told me it was stopping due to slow memory card. I have a few other cards, kinston, gfm, and a kodak but it is only 128mb so it is too small for much video I am guessing. THanks

20. IHoe

IHoe Senior member