1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kodak Zi8, cannot connect via usb

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by Chamee, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Chamee

Chamee Member

I cannot connect my zi8 via usb to transfer videos to my computer. When I plug the camera in, it powers on automatically, live view and the recording formats show for a couple seconds, then the screen turns black but the backlight stays on. After about fifteen seconds or so the Kodak logo pops up and fades away (the power off -animation), then the power button lights up and the camera recharges.

I don't know if all of this is normal, but what certainly isn't, is that nothing pops up in my computer, no installing screen, no automatic open, no usb device info pop-ups. I'm supposed to "follow the prompts", but there are none. I also can't find the device from my computer, it seems that my Vista does not react in any way when the camera is plugged in. I haven't had similar problems with usb devices, and apart from this the camera seems to work perfectly. The firmware is 1.06.

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

And, what does the manual say on how to transfer the video to your PC? Is the problem with you Kodak, or is the problem with your computer?

3. Chamee

Chamee Member

I'm getting back to this problem now. The manual says exactly the same thing the customer service did, "follow the prompts". It's kinda hard to do that since there are none.

Naturally I should try plugging the camera into another pc, I just haven't had the chance to do that yet, and I still have to solve the problem with my own pc. So I'm asking here if there happens to be someone who has already figured this out.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

see if does same on other computers with vista & other operating systems. if still does the same then try another usb cable.

5. Chamee

Chamee Member

The zi8 doesn't have a separate usb cable, it's fixed inside the camera, so I can't use another cable. I'll try other computers when I can, and of course I could just get a sdhc card reader. I just hate it when simple things don't work like they're supposed to, and then you have to get more devices cluttering your desk.