1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

kryptview, sv6, eurovox, dreambox n3 solution

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by fintannl, Jul 4, 2010.

1. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

I agree with your points Fint, but as I said above mate, folk know the risk as its been explained how it works, whats involved etc, its been to openly discussed if anything, so as always, buyer beware and what someone wants to do is down to them, we are not here to police the risk's for em, the case has been stated for and against these lan boxs at length since they appeared and people vote with their feet and wallets.

2. e45

e45 Regular member

as mick has said and he is right up to the people to do their homework we can only advice the route what they do after that it there business

3. LUHG

LUHG Member

I dont want to pick any fights here since its my first post with this account, but i wanted to say that whenever something happens, like the switch to nagra3, or i would also say the banning of hacked xbox 360 consoles from xbox live, i always read messages from users saying... 'the gig is up, its over, its not safe, everyone can get caught now, the good old days are behind us' and so on. I think its a normal thing for people to do when they suddenly lose out and so they want other people to stop their activities too, thats just how im seeing it from here since nagra3 started rolling out. Im not looking for a fight, but i know the comment prob wont go over well.

I do have something to say tho. i dont think its fully over because of the upgrade, i just think the options now are still too weak. fintannl is right, you try to get decryption keys through the internet and you might bhe putting yourself at risk considerin your IP address might be logged by the server and if your internet provider is the same provider as with the tv service, they wud prob be monitoring traffic to known public key servers.

however, as pointed out before, the solution is not that hard. Virtual private network. Ok so you won't get by without having to pay something, but take IPREDATOR for example (its named after the European IPRED law, and run by pirate bay guys) it costs 15 euros for 3 months and its not bad at all for bandwidth. in fact, for football games I dont get on my sky sports package, like if they are on one of the other couple of channels i dont have or if they arent on tv in uk, i use ipredator vpn to route a live stream online and it performs fine on most shares, only starts getting problems for the really high bandwidth shares but even at that not always. considering people use ipredator for bittorrent downloads i dont think bandwidth is really a prob.

if it can share a stream online with sopcast or whatever im using at the time, it can defo download text keys. the only problem is boxes providing a solution to do this. i dont use vpn all the time, just when i want to anonymize myself.. oh and the reason i dont get football shares on my internet connection without vpn is its exactly like p2p file sharing, you upload and download so the crackdown will come sooner or later courtesy of the FA or prem league (ufc is already monitoring in states).

so if a box would have built in support for being able to use vpn by itself, then happy days. im sure its not that hard to code a solution for that. the only other problem is maintaining public sources for keys, but thats a problem that will get worked on. until then, if a game is on sky sports, im good, if not then i'll have to get it online and use vpn to mask myself.

4. e45

e45 Regular member

what planet is this guy from ?? lol

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  5. hooter007

hooter007 Regular member

I tought there was some good posting advice there not only from LUHG but this whole thread
    as it would be a good read for people just starting out on the new boxes
    just to let them & others know what there getting themself`s into
    and how they could protect themself a bit more IF they are interested in doing so

Also welcome to the forum LUHG
    and fintannl well if you are done here, good luck on your journey and remember if you do change your mind you know where we are :)

6. e45

e45 Regular member

They can only get your ip from the server box if that is well out side of the uk jurisidiction which they should be people have nothing to fear except there own provider been able to see packets going back and forth does not prove a thing all it proves is you are on that server just like google is on a server and if you are searching google all the time thats what they can see.

As said time after time we are not here as gods to tell people what they should and should not do that is for them to do their reading and decide all we do is advise people what is out there if they wish to take it up.

At the end of the day just for argument say the server was in russia how are virgin or any other provider going to be able to get to this server they cant.

7. LUHG

LUHG Member

Under EU data retention laws brought in when the UK held EU presidency a few years back, can UK authorities demand information such as server logs from a server like that? I know that the original reason for data retention was terrorism but the legislation was changed to say "serious crime" instead - so i think the server would have to be not just outside the UK, but outside the EU too. There would also have to be communication from the UK to servers in Russia or wherever else to keep the keys up to date so that boxes can retrieve them when they change, that's probably a point of attack too.

There are legal reasons why NTL or another provider might not be able to snoop on customer traffic to see if they are getting data from a public key server, that's true, but I could see them making an effort to block access to key servers. That is probably not on solid legal ground either, but who would challenge it? Again though, a VPN would remove that problem.

I agree with you that what people do with information on forums like this is their own business. If they get in trouble, it is their own fault not the posters fault or afterdawns.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  8. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

People will always do what they want to do, regardless of the advise offered, we can spell out as best we can to them and if they decide to go with it, its their choice, there is some good points in this thread, which is what forums are about, to discuss and debate,

9. fredberg

fredberg Member

all sounds a tad dodgy to me lads....i think i might get a kryptview 780, just hope i dont get clocked!!!!.......thanks for the info and advice, cheers.

10. JaneyMack

JaneyMack Regular member

I'm selling hoops to hit with sticks and kite's for outdoors fun!!!

11. situl2005

situl2005 Regular member

From what I'm reading, there are mentions of 'keep the keys up to date so that boxes can retrieve them when they change. What keys are we talking about? are private keys or rolling keys like in the old boxes that updated by the emulator? So these new boxes need to connect to these servers in order to update the keys? So why can't these keys be inputted in manually in to your own box? are these servers just a way to make money? obviously they are.

12. hooter007

hooter007 Regular member

no keys can be inserted in the new boxes
    broadband does the update for you
    server is there to try and save you money,lol

13. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

and identify you

14. e45

e45 Regular member

it does the same as any peer to peer site will do or pirate bay

15. hooter007

hooter007 Regular member

lads were not going through this again??

16. e45

e45 Regular member

you right im not but someone is LOL

17. mikey_c

mikey_c Member

So.....how many boxes have been brought to the UK? Are you saying that VM (or whatever) have people looking at everyone's IP address and monotoring what they are downloading? Why would they waste their time and money on something that in 9 times out of 10 will end up with a slap on the wrist/fine?

18. hooter007

hooter007 Regular member

19. mikey_c

mikey_c Member

20. hooter007

hooter007 Regular member

they would not be much interested in all the boxes "at the moment"
    more interested in the server,
    also remember its not only them that is watching,looking,trying to find,
    and yes you are probably right about 9/10 you would just get a slap on wrist,fine ect.. if its your first offence, but what if its not and no fine no slap on wrist
    well lets say you "will" get free tv where you go,lol