1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kvcd question

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by nownthen, Dec 31, 2004.

1. nownthen

nownthen Regular member

At Kvcd.net they claim that you can convert a video file to have a resolution of 529 x 480. Can I make a Vcd with this? And Will it play on my dvd player?

2. shiroh

shiroh Guest

i'm not sure about 529x480,
    i'm sure i haven't heard about it.
    pretty sure its not standard resolution.
    its not mod 16, its not motion estimation friendly.

but you can encode at 480x480, which is svcd resolution.
    you can even encode at 704x480 or full 720x480. and playback on dvd player. but it all depends on the player. go ahead and try.

i've tried 512x448. it plays, but didn't properly resize, and leaving a blue border from the player menu.

3. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Almost right. If you watch on http://kvcd.net/dvd-models.html, you'll see that the resolution is 528x480.
    Just follow the guide I wrote on http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/124272 and it will work. Remember to have a full movie by multiplexing the KVCD video to a mpeg sound using as type : [bold] Video-CD non-standard[/bold]. Only, take care: I am not sure that 'resolution in pixels' equivals to 'video quality'. For example, as you can see in my poll, I prefer VCDs to KVCDs. Use a CD-RW and make a comparison.
    And remember: aspect a nice result only if the input movie's resolution is greater or equal to 528x480 (garbage in ==> garbage out).

Last edited: Jan 1, 2005
  4. nownthen

nownthen Regular member

Thanks for your input.

I don't need a guide I've made KVCD's before with the usual resolution that have worked fine.