1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Labels on DVD-R

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Imacer, Dec 18, 2003.

1. Imacer

Imacer Member

Has anybody had any problems with labels on their DVD-R while playing in the DVD player. If you use labels what program do you use.

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Imacer, The General opinion is that labels cause more problems than they are worth. Most don't use them because of the playback problems they cause. Some machines can play back labeled dvds. Most act up. Freeze picture, pixelation, some players won't even start playback. All you can do is try and see.
    If you get any of these playback problems with a labeled dvd, remove the label and try it again.
    Jerry

3. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi Imacer,
    Jerry is correct. There has been much discussion concerning labels and the problems they can cause. However... I think they look cool, so I put em on anyhow.
    I use MediaFACE 4.0, a program that came with a pack of Fellowes CD labels. This program lets me select images and then apply them to the labels. It has a free trial but I liked it so I bought it. I find my images at www.cdcovers.com (that place makes my pop-up blocker work overtime!)
    Make sure you have a label application tool and that your disc is clean. After I put it on I always rub the label a bit to make sure it is well stuck.

Do it at your own risk!
    Good luck,
    Frank

4. geocean

geocean Member

I went through a long journey of playing with the labeling issue. What I have found out so far is: in general it doesn't matter what DVD players or even what labeling system you use.

It matters what DVD media you use.

And it has nothing to do with whether it's brand name, but it has lots to do with how the light transmits through the discs. Of the 10 or so diffferent types of media I've tried, only two consistently do well with labels (Verbatim +R and Optodisc -R) regardless which player I play them in (I have three different players). Verbatim has colored prints on them and Optodisc has a creamy looking surface, neither probably has much light transmitting through them.

Without knowing the exact mechanism on how labeling can cause playback problem on some discs, I don't want to speculate too much on why those two types discs have had no problem. But my hunch is there is something in between the laser surface and labeling surface in these discs that blocks some specific wavelength of light that renders labeling feasible.

5. Imacer

Imacer Member

Has anybody tried the labels on TDK DVD-R.

6. nuklehead

nuklehead Member

OK. Here's the experience that I've had with labels on dvd-r's. If the label was printed on by an ink jet printer, then its going to be bad. Odds are, its going to come off or start to come off inside your dvd player. If the label was printed on by a laser printer then it should be fine. This is just my experience, I've labeled over 60 dvd-r's and have no problems with them. I work in a digital print shop, so I have access to a high quality laser printer. My friend tried printing his on his home printer, some HP printer, and all of them either didnt stick very well right off, or they came loose inside the dvd player. -theres my 2 pennies

7. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi guys, I use Mediaface software like Fastfrank printed on an Epson inkjet printer. Never had one come off and my Sony stand alone plays them fine. My daughters Toshiba stand alone only plays -R media. With the labels on---no go. They would play about 15-30 minutes then freeze up. Take off labels, they play fine. Whats strange is that it plays +R media with out labels too even though all reference to her model say it only supports -R. The +R were burned at 2x on Ritek media. You never know with this stuff. Jerry