1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

labtop still infected?

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by dermotk, Mar 4, 2012.

1. dermotk

dermotk Member

i have been away for a while,and i,d like to thank everybody for their input,i said things were sorted but when i ran malwarebytes and adaware se .malwarebytes said i had the following (C:\Documents and Settings\Desktop\Firefox Setup 4.0.1.exe (Trojan.FakeFireFox) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.)adaware said i had trojan win32 genericBT and deleted same the labtop is seems to be running fine maybe a bit slow,so maybe there is still traces still left on the labtop and they raise their heads every so often is that possible?

dermotk

2. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  3. Nephilim1955

Nephilim1955 Member

Maybe it's time to just perform a System Recovery and get it over with. Install your Internet. Then go to Microsoft Updates and keep running it until there are no more updates to install. Afterwards, set the updates to be automatic. But, still visit the site weekly to make sure the computer's updates are current. Download a good Internet Security software. Norton Internet Security does a fine job of protection. I've used it for years on all my computers. Don't open strange emails, delete them. Social network websites, such as, Facebook, Twitter, are great places to go if you want to risk infecting your computer. But, a hard sell to convince a teenager not to go there. Keep you browser cleaned out by clicking on TOOLS>Internet Options>In Browser History, click on the delete. Run the Defragmenter tool at least once per month. Watch out want you download. And only download from secure sites. I myself choose to perform a System Recovery once every 6 months. I back up my files then reinstall the Operationing System. I personally, don't like spending days trying to find a fix/s that may or may never work. If you do get infected, and you have Norton pertection. You can call their tech support, the tech will take remote control of your PC and remove the infection for you. If, the Norton tech is unable to do so, they will recommend a System Recovery.

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

Nephilim1955, after doing system recovery but before doing windows updates, install anti-virus as lost 4hrs of work because ms site was infected.

5. Nephilim1955

Nephilim1955 Member

Thanks, for sharing your knowledge. I've always, did the reverse. MS update, then Protection. Never got infected from MS...yet. Knock on wood! However, will follow your directions, as advised.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  6. dermotk

dermotk Member

again thanks everyone for your inputs,i have a backup of the labtop since jan2011 and now going to reinstall this and hopefully all will be ok,i will take what ddp said on board and make sure an anti-virus is installed.

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

no problem.

8. Nephilim1955

Nephilim1955 Member

Happy Computing!

9. BE32

BE32 Member

Looks like I missed it... sorry :)

10. dermotk

dermotk Member

Hi all, as i said before i had a backup of the system since jan2011,well i installed that backup all was well until i tried to access the internet and got internet explorer cannot display the webpage,ran the diagnostics tool and the log stated as follows;Last diagnostic run time: 03/22/12 10:30:57 WinSock Diagnostic
    WinSock status

info Error attmpting to validate the Winsock base providers: 2
    error Not all base service provider entries could be found in the winsock catalog. A reset is needed.
    info Redirecting user to support call

Network Adapter Diagnostic
    Network location detection

info Using home Internet connection
    Network adapter identification

info Network connection: Name=Local Area Connection 2, Device=Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=LAN
    info Network connection: Name=Wireless Network Connection 6, Device=Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=WIRELESS
    info Network connection: Name=1394 Connection, Device=1394 Net Adapter, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=1394
    info Network connection: Name=PLEXUS VPN, Device=WAN Miniport (L2TP), MediaType=TUNNEL, SubMediaType=NONE
    info Network connection: Name=1591293823.3G, Device=SENS LT56ADW Modem, MediaType=PHONE, SubMediaType=NONE
    info Network connection: Name=O2 Mobile Connect, Device=SENS LT56ADW Modem, MediaType=PHONE, SubMediaType=NONE
    info Network connection: Name=1.3G, Device=SENS LT56ADW Modem, MediaType=PHONE, SubMediaType=NONE
    info Both Ethernet and Wireless connections available, prompting user for selection
    action User input required: Select network connection
    info Wireless connection selected
    Network adapter status

info Network connection status: Connected

HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic
    HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity

warn HTTP: Error 12007 connecting to www.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
    warn HTTPS: Error 12007 connecting to www.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
    warn FTP (Passive): Error 12007 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
    warn HTTP: Error 12007 connecting to www.hotmail.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
    warn HTTPS: Error 12007 connecting to www.passport.net: The server name or address could not be resolved
    warn FTP (Active): Error 12007 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
    error Could not make an HTTP connection.
    error Could not make an HTTPS connection.
    error Could not make an FTP connection.

would appreciate any help.

11. aldan

aldan Active member

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  12. dermotk

dermotk Member

aidan,thanks for your reply, i already went through what that article said but still no joy,as far as i can tell i seem to be missing a driver for net?