1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lag in gaming?!?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Pop_Smith, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

Hi everyone, i recently put togeather the rig in my sig (lol, im a poet and i didn't even know it). So, i booted up Generals and the videos run laggy, they run faster on my Dell (Intel 1.3Ghz, 640MB RAM, 64MB Nvidia Graphic Card, 120GB 7200RPM hdd).
    I updated the drivers on the graphic card (gigabyte 6800 GT) and defragged after i installed the game (and saw the laggy videos) the videos still where not smooth. Even though the videos aren't a big deal, as the game runs fine (and quick i might add), i just want to fix my problem if at all possible.

Anyone know where my problem could lie?

P.S. I ran the game both on the original CD then on the Alcohol image, it lagged both times.
    Also, I always used Alcohol on the Dell, so its not the image as far as i can tell.
    P.P.S. I went disabled all the Windows Services so my config looks like the "Power User" option which you can find here:
    http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

Last edited: Dec 30, 2004
  2. Divinus

Divinus Guest

Damn it, I was just surfing and reading and saw something that outlined a problem with video playback and the 6000 series cards. I'll try to find it again. I'm almost positive it's a driver problem.

3. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

ok, ty, if you find the link please post it.
    From what i have read too, i am not supposed to use Nvidia's drivers on my graphic card (which sounds unlogical to me) but, if someone could clear that up for me i would be happy.

4. Divinus

Divinus Guest

Ok, i can't find it, but most likely it was on www.theinquirer.net I read a lot of articles from there. I also talked to a friend who said it was a known problem with video playback as the graphic card uses 100% cpu when playing back videos. He said other drivers would help and I think Nvidia is going to fix it in next driver update or they already have.

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

what directx version you using

6. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

9.0c, I updated (again, lol) the drivers to the latest ones on the Nvidia website, defragged (again) and the videos still lag, the opening sequence is unbearable (the ea games sign takes 3-4 seconds to land and do its flashy thing, when it should have taken no time at all)
    The game runs perfect, I put the resolution on 1024x768, details all on the highest setting, and it ran as if it was on the lowest detail setting, not a noticable difference. But, i want to be able to watch the videos, as i should be able to with the hardware i got.

P.S. Sorry for my complaining, I'll stop as soon as i fix my problem :(.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2004
  7. Divinus

Divinus Guest

Yeah, It's definitely something to do with the card's drivers. Nvidia is working on fixing it I believe. The card forces the CPU to use 100% to playback video so it lags like crazy.

I'll try to find the article once I stop lazying around lol.

8. Divinus

Divinus Guest

Pop, I have some bad news for you. My worst fears are correct. This cannot be fixed by some driver update. That's what I remember reading.

Read this thread for more info. I think the original thread came out on nvnews.com

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=824574

9. Divinus

Divinus Guest

If those reports are indeed, correct... I'd have the CEO of Nvidia's head on a stake, lol.

Some paid nearly $500 for these video cards and they could never have descent video playback. I suppose it's not that bad seeing as it still plays games blistering fast.

Still, for the high end of the line you'd think they would have tested it a bit more.

10. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

Thanks for that, maybe i'll take my card back and get a different one while i still can :(.
    Maybe that will explain my low scores on 3DMark05, after driver updates and such, i retested and got a score of
    2606, which still sounds low (maybe its not, I dunno).
    One think i dislike, according to the Nvidia website, i gotta e-mail gigabyte with my question, this sucks as i gotta get serials numbers and crap off the card :(

Last edited: Dec 31, 2004