1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LAN help, - yes i know im a newb

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Liez4Love, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Liez4Love

Liez4Love Regular member

Hey, i know my way around computers pretty well now, except, i dont know anything about LAN, so i was hoping you could help me, i want to get a LAN party going for some of the other gamers here in my town.. First off i know im gona need a HUB and RJ45 lines, i got that part, but the only thing is i tried doing this with a really small HUB that was meant for the xbox, and i coudltn get it to work, so i was hoping some one could walk me through it, and recomend a HUB to buy, and stuff like that ,, thank you..

2. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Get a 10/100 switch with enough ports capable of supporting the number of people you wish to host. From there, it's just a matter of configuring each host to communicate with each other (TCP/IP).

3. Liez4Love

Liez4Love Regular member

Do i need to be connected to the internet at all? coz in order for me to get on LAN with socom, play station told me i needed a broad band connection just to get 2 hooked up

4. amr12391

amr12391 Guest

yes some games for ps2 need to have broadband, some don't,most 1st person shooters need broadband,if i were u i would forget the ps2 internet, plus ...i heard sony sayin they were gonna start making their internet users pay monthly..no offense ..ps2 internet is a waste..cuz u can't tweak the internet connection...this is just my opinion... u can listen or not..does'nt matter

5. Liez4Love

Liez4Love Regular member

Well the thing is i want a Call of Duty Lan party for the pc's, i dont want a ps2 LAN Party