1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LAN issues

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by bobbintb, Feb 14, 2007.

1. bobbintb

bobbintb Member

ok heres the deal. i have cable internet but am only allowed 1 ip. i dont have a router so i took an extra network card and have the cable modem going into my computer and out to my brothers computer to share the internet connection. so mine acts like a gateway. we share an ip. the problem is only that i cant seem to get wakeup on lan to work on my pc or remote desktop connection for obvious reasons. also when playing lan games we he is the only one who can be the server. i got it to work more me somehow once but cant recreate it. my computer is better so me running the server is better. we've only tried it on call of duty 2 so maybe its only that game. is there anything i can do to get these problems fixed?

2. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

Are you running a firewall?

3. bobbintb

bobbintb Member

just the windows default one

4. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

You will have to disable it or use a firewall that allows you to open up ports in order to use your machine as a server. Comodo, Jetico, Kerio, etc. will all do that.

5. bobbintb

bobbintb Member

yea. that doesnt heelp.