1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lapping a heatsink

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Waymon3X6, Dec 16, 2007.

1. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

I have been poking around watching videos and reading some guides, and had some questions that they didn't answer that maybe you guys could help me out with. I have a couple items I would like to lap. First of all, is it really worth the effort? I see you need at least 30 minutes for each item, and I have 4... I would like to lap a Apogee water block, 2x Swiftech VGA water blocks and the north bridge water block on the ASUS maximus se.

The question I have are do you have to lap the cpu also? I purchased a Q6600 G0, and dont want to screw it up...

Also, is it really worth it? The guides I read said I would see a 3-5C temperature drop, which is a pretty good amount.

If you guys could help, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I wouldn't bother lapping the CPU, sounds a bit risky. Go nuts with the waterblocks though, assuming they do actually have problems. The only time I've ever heard of lapping yielding significant benefits is with Thermalright heatsinks.

3. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

oh ok. I just didnt feal like spending 2+ hours lapping heatsinks if it doesnt make that much of a difference.

I just hope that the swiftech h20-220 will cool 2 3870s, a overclocked quad core and the northbridge pretty well.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It should, as long as you've got a good radiator (so no blackice rubbish)

5. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Its a MCR-220.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EDIT: And by the way, the cooling that comes with it says to mix it with purified water. Is this regular or distilled water?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2007
  6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Distilled. Always distilled water.
    To be fair, I wouldn't even risk that. Adding any form water to coolant means you risk making it conductive. If it's conductive, leak=dead PC.

7. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

oh yeah, good point! I dont have the system yet, I just read that part on a review so I hope the instrutions recommend something else.

[​IMG]

I can see that it says "mix with distilled water". Hmm, guess I will have to go out and buy some of that...

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If I were you, I wouldn't bother using concentrate coolers. It's safer to buy premixed stuff, like Feser One.