1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop bios doesn't recognize DVD drive after firmware upgrade

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by liwenkuo, Apr 26, 2008.

1. liwenkuo

liwenkuo Member

Hi All,

Here is my situation (blown out of the water).

1. I have an Acer TravelMate 290 that with a Toshiba DVD-ROM R6112.
    2. I upgraded the firmware to 1033 as suggested by forums to address CRC errors. I also updated to 7133 but found that was old so loaded back to 1033.
    3. Then I find out the Windows security fix KB935839 blows away VideoWave rendering. I couldn't uninstall because I deleted those (it also was part of a SP2 package I think). So I decide to rebuild my system using the Acer recovery CD's. I also format the C drive first.
    4. Now, the Bios doesn't recognize the DVD drive, so I cannot rebuild my laptop. Cannot even boot up because I formatted the drive first.

Anyone with a solution would be appreciated. (options are buying a new DVD drive, or loading based on an XP installation disk but will miss out on all the drivers etc.).

Help.

Sincerely,
    Li

2. tripplite

tripplite Guest

because you have a newer firmware then your bios the firmware was made after the bios so it is quite possible that your bios is not compatible with this newer drive.....

this is easily fixed.... go to acers site and try to see if they have a bios update for you model, if they dont have a bootable image file readily available .....then make it your self:)

http://www.biosflash.com/e/bios-boot-cd.htm

....although it is also possible something else is causing the mix up as well....go to the bios setting area and restore it to its default....

best wishes!
    -tripplite